Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

how to understand?

hallo,

I'm just new to this forum and I'm happy to be here to put my questions out to you, guys.

I've been reading as many posts as I could to learn but I couldn't find the way to understand what I might buy.

I 'm going to see a 1962 ludwig with 18 bass drum, 12 tom and 14 floor tom.

What I know is : it should be white painted, pre-serial Keystone badge, three plyes maoghany-ploper -maoghany, but beside this

I'm quite suspicious becouse of some very bad deals done in the past.

Do you have any suggestion to understand how to check if it it original or fake (the bass drum for instance) and how much is it worth for?

Was Ludwing producing 18 inches bass drums in 1962?

Thank you really to everyone who will give a helping hand.

Citro

Posted on 16 years ago

I am pretty sure Ludwig was not making an 18" bass drum in 1962. I think maybe 1965 may have been the earliest although they don't show up in a catalog until 1966. Catalog -67 was printed in 1966. The ludwig set known as the jazzette is cataloged with a 12x18 bass drum.

Could the set be a 20,12,14 instead? That sounds logical as they were plentiful in 1962. The tone controls would most likely be ball bat ones with red mufflers inside. The badge as you have mentioned should have no serial number. The badge on the floor tom should be in the center of the drum and the date stamps should be in red ink with a white painted interior in the drums.

I have never seen or heard of an 18" Ludwig bass drum that old but definately stranger things have happened. I have heard that the 18" bass drum was done as a request by Roy Haynes. Jazzette sets in the true configuration are rare and quite valuable. Probobly over $2000.00 for a nice set. A standard 20,12,14 can fetch anywhere from $800-$1000 to $1200.00-1500.00 depending on the finish. Some of the really rare finishes will bring more cash depending on the shape of the overall set.

Ask lots of questions before plunking down big money and if possible try to get some photos so we can see. There are a lot of experts here that can help. No need to overpay for something that is not worth it. Hope this helps.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks really a lot for your help, Kurt.

I also didn't see any 18 bass drum in the 1962 catalogues,

but I needed confirmation by somone who knows more than me.

I'm going to take some pictures, anyway.

Hope to have good news.

citro

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi guys,

so these are the news about the LUDWIG set.

Unfortunately I couldn't take pics , my camera was off energy.

bass drum is 18x14 , not 18x12, the badge is preserial,

inside the shell there's no white painting, a red ink "Feb 1962" printed.

no extra holes.

the golden sparkle cover is slightly different, a slightly larger texture,

from the one used on tom and floor tom wich are dated around 1966, because of serial numbers on the badges.

do you think it could be a fake one?

thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

Sounds fishy to me. I am pretty sure the newer sparkle has slightly larger chunks. They look close though. I am pretty sure a 14x18 bass drum was not around in 1962. A pic would help the most. I would think it would not be hard to make a fake. If the price is right and the job was well done it could still be a good deal.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here