Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

How to tell nickel from chrome?

OK - might be a dumb question - but I have some old solo Ludwigs and the lugs are corroded. Can anyone tell me a sure fire way to tell if they are nickel or chrome? Some are very badly "eaten away" and some just have a lot of pitting, like pimples spreading. I want to replace them and try and find the right lugs. Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago

From my experience, nickel is a duller color than chrome. Also when chrome pits, it's usually turning to rust, with nickel you don't see as much rusting in the pitting, but it discolors more.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Good reply - thanks. These drums were exposed to weather or dampness at some stage and even the worst lugs have no rust. I think they are nickel.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago

troutstudio,

The plating process goes like this:

1. Base metal

2. Copper

3. Nickel

4. Chromium

All the layers of each plating step are only microns thick, so when the nickel goes over the copper, it looks a bit more orange/yellow. Nickel isn't all that hard, so it tended to oxidize more quickly. Chrome was considered an improvement in that the chromium plating step created a much, MUCH harder surface that resisted oxidation better than nickel...but it gave a "colder", "bluer" more reflective look.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here