Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

How to (??)Replace Snares on Ludwig Classic Snare

I researched the Ludwig Classic Snare and purchased the appropriate Puresound PL31416 snares. The drum is 14 inch and the snares are 14 inch. But I can not make them fit....they appear to be to long. I adjusted the strainer to make them fit, but still they seem 2 inches to long. No , matter how I adjust the strainer they still don't fit. What am I doing wrong here?

http://i33.tinypic.com/2wejjau.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/32znk2f.jpg

Posted on 14 years ago

vintagetone:

Do you have the proper butt plate on your drum? ( it's hard to tell from your pics ) I'll attach a couple of my 1955 WFL Buddy Rich Classic that show the extended butt with the two screw attachment system... this is the butt plate that you need to make those snares fit. I have seen this model drum with the standard butt as well, and that one utilizes snare cord for attachment... although they both have the Classic throw. If that is the case, then yes, the snares you have will be too long.

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

vintagetone!...

As an addendum... if you do in fact have the standard butt on your drum, PureSound does indeed make the proper model snares for your set-up. You would need the "WFL Snare w/string mounting" as this one still has the single hole for the screw attachment on the Classic throw... but ... the butt end has the standard attachment for using snare cord or strap. Needless to say, the wires overall length is SHORTER owing to the fact that they are not made for the Classic extended butt, thus they will fit perfectly on a drum that has the standard butt, but still features the Classic throw/strainer.

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

From Tommyp

vintagetone:Do you have the proper butt plate on your drum? ( it's hard to tell from your pics ) I'll attach a couple of my 1955 WFL Buddy Rich Classic that show the extended butt with the two screw attachment system... this is the butt plate that you need to make those snares fit. I have seen this model drum with the standard butt as well, and that one utilizes snare cord for attachment... although they both have the Classic throw. If that is the case, then yes, the snares you have will be too long.Tommyp

Man is that thing cherry!

Posted on 14 years ago

Also want to point out that you've got that throw cranked a bit. The screw rod is sticking way out. You might want to ease off that and allow the snares to sit a bit better. Obviously, this is not the main issue with your snare, but just something I saw.

Posted on 14 years ago

tubelugs!...

Thanks for the nice words! It is indeed a fine specimen, and I have to tell ya... the drum also plays/sounds as nice as it looks. And this from a DEVOUT Rogers guy to boot!

mcjnic!...

You are of course correct on the over adjustment of the throw/strainer... but you know why that is, right? Because the snares don't fit... they're too long... and vintagetone, in trying to get them to "tension" correctly, had to take up a lot of slack, and that in turn means the adjustment knob is cranked! With the proper model/length snares, this won't be an issue and he will be able to back off on the tension of the adjustment knob. Kudos for the good eye though!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

From Tommyp

mcjnic!...You are of course correct on the over adjustment of the throw/strainer... but you know why that is, right? Because the snares don't fit... they're too long... and vintagetone, in trying to get them to "tension" correctly, had to take up a lot of slack, and that in turn means the adjustment knob is cranked! With the proper model/length snares, this won't be an issue and he will be able to back off on the tension of the adjustment knob. Kudos for the good eye though!Tommyp

...duh...of course. I really wasn't thinking thoroughly...was I.... DOH

Posted on 14 years ago

From Tommyp

Thanks for the nice words! It is indeed a fine specimen, and I have to tell ya... the drum also plays/sounds as nice as it looks. And this from a DEVOUT Rogers guy to boot!

With much respect to Rogers, there was a lot of snare mojo going on at Ludwig during this era.

Posted on 14 years ago

This snare does not have the extended butt plate. It has a "clamp" style with two screws. The butt plate appears original, it is stamped "WFL". Of course a 55 year old snare could have had a part changed over the years, but I don't think so. I think the answer is I need the Purespound PLS1416 (or string snare) not the snare set I bought which has 2 holes on one side and one hole on the other (as seen in my photos). My local drum shop is going to talk to the Ludwig rep and hopefully figiure this out. I bouhgt the Classic Snare for $45, bought two Evans heads for another $50...so I have almost a $100 into this already, I hope I can actually make the snare drum usable.

Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagetone

I bought the Classic Snare for $45, bought two Evans heads for another $50...so I have almost a $100 into this already, I hope I can actually make the snare drum usable.

Wow, only a bill? That is a deal. And once you get it done, it will be worth what, 300? maybe a little more? There aren't a lot of the gold sparkles around, so that would drive the re-sale value, no? It appears to be in decent condition, so with the only thing left to getting the motor running is the snares, you are looking pretty good, if you're getting it ready for the bay. But then, you're prolly just gonna keep it and play the snot out of it.....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here