Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

How to remove wrap?

I have a couple of orphan Ludwig toms with wrap that is beyond repair. The wrap appears to be weaved in with the wood plies, if that makes sense. I thought the wrap was all on top of the wood? After removing the wrap, I will likely paint the drums. Would appreciate advice on stripping the wrap without damaging the shells.

Thanks

Jim

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 10 years ago

I would cut the wrap right at the point that it starts to enter the ply.

Posted on 10 years ago

Cutting it at the seem is about your only option I believe. Just make sure your blade is new and super sharp and take your time. As far as getting the wrap off the winter is the ideal time to leave the shells out over night and then remove once the mother nature has worked her magic. If you have or know someone with a big enough freezer that would work also. Good luck! Some of these are easier than others has been my experience!

Curtis

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I think the 9x13 will fit in my basement freezer. The 16x16 will fit in the fridge. I will give it a go. Thanks for the advice. I have a duco 14x22 bass drum with large center lugs. That will be the easy part of this project.

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here