Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

How to pack and ship a drum set?

Hello everyone,

How does one pack and ship a drum set? One school of thought is to pack and ship each drum separately. The other is to nest the smaller drums inside one another. The first is definitely the safest but it seems like the shipping costs could add up. Shipping the snare and tom inside the bass drum would turn three boxes into one but add weight which in turn adds postage. Also, too much weight inside a cardboard box may be risky.

I'm interested in the safest as well as the least expensive option.

Thanks in advance. I'll check back later.

Posted on 15 years ago

I nest the drums when shipping a drum set. I also take off the floor tom legs, bass drum mount and both heads of the bass drum.

I have not had a problem shipping that way. I also make it a practice, thanks to TommyP to always put the drum in a plastic garbage bag.

I never ship a drum that is not protected with plastic. You just never know what can happen and water damage is a factor no matter where you live or ship to.

One other thing I do is always add insurance, even if the buyer does not want it. Add it anyway. You will be glad you did if something does happen.

In regards to which shipper is the best and which shipper does not give any money for instruments if they are damaged I leave that up to personal preference.

What I do know is that if something is packed well and the label is properly affixed to the box you should not have a problem. There are rare cases of course where things do get lost or damaged.

There are plenty of shipping gripes about damaged drums, but in most cases they were not packed correctly. I have shipped some very rare drums across the country and I double box and make sure there is plenty of room for the drum to get hit from any side.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks David. I would not have thought to wrap the drum in plastic. Great idea.

Thanks again.

Posted on 15 years ago

In a box with MY address on it will do just fine..:)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm packing a set in the next day or two... thanks for the reminder about the plastic bag!

I love this Forum!!

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here