Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

How to identify Radio Kings

Hi guys,

I am restoring a 1959-61 WMP Slingerland bass drum and was wondering how one can tell whether its a radio king or not? Are radio kings composed of maple only or can they also be mahagony? I think the drum I have is constructed from mahagony (although I am not positive). Are there differences in hardware between radio kings and other models? The reason I ask is because I would like to build a complete kit around this bass drum and want to ensure I buy model correct drums. Anyway, thanks for any information you can provide!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

Sounds like a great project James. WMP is certainly a beautiful finish. I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy of Rob Cook's The Slingerland Book.

Shell construction over the years and correct hardware (and much more) are detailed quite nicely.

The toms and bass drum are most likely three ply drums mahogany, poplar, mahogany. The steam bent solid maple shell Radio King snare will be what you want to find to crown your Radio King kit.

The book can give you a great overview and the small details can be filled in with great precision here on the forum.

We look forward to you sharing your progress.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the information Jim - that was very helpful. I am really looking forward to this project and will definitely share my progress with the forum (when I finally begin to make some) :D.

Thanks again!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

There's a lot of info here as well. Try this link to Slingerland shell construction by Dr. C.J. Wenk. It's in the Slingerland section of the Drum Guide. Top right of this page you're reading right now. Link.............

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I have a 59-61 "Radio King" set (there is no such thing during this era--they were called something else for a few years). To be considered a true "Radio King" configuration of this era, the snare is single-ply maple, toms are 3-ply with maple interiors, and the bass drum is 3-ply with a mahogany interior.

That's what I've gathered from some collector friends and the Slingerland book.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here