Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

how to identify a re-wrap?

Any suggestions how to identify a re-wrap job?

As I've previously posted, I just purchased a '65 Slingerland in Solid black wrap. When I first saw the drums I thought it was a re-wrap job, and the drummer I bought them from said he thinks they are a re-warp as well.

One clue that made me think the wrap wasn't original is the fact that the bass is wrapped in solid black, but the inlay on the hopps is silver sparkle. Is this a real clue, or is that the norm for black wrap?

The more research I do, and the more I inspect the drums, the more confused I am becoming.

So if anyone can give me clues as to what might give it away as a rewrap, please share!

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi.

Some drums are easier to ID as a rewrap than others. 60's-era Ludwigs are easy to identify due to the fact that the original wraps were tucked into the scarf joint and so the original wrap leaves a remnant inside that scarf joint. You can see it easily when you know what to look for.

Some rewraps are better than others, too. A more modern technique of rewrapping is to use double-side tape instead of apply contact cement to the entire surface of the new wrap. It's a time-saver and less toxic...but the tape method often leaves air-spaces and voids and can actually detract from the resonance of a drum.

As far as the silver sparkle on the hoops of a black wrapped drum....I'm not sure if it was common to Slingerland or not (my guess would be "Yes"), but I KNOW that was the scheme that Ludwig used to use. I play a custom-built Magstar kit built by Rob Kampa in that exact scheme -silver sparkle on the black-painted bass drum hoop and a black wrap on the shells -this was based upon a vintage Ludwig prototype. The idea of doing that (in my opinion) was to kind of match the look of the chrome rims on the other drums.

Many new wraps jsut don't look like the old ones. Certain white marine pearls are less rich than the vintage ones, for example. The more drums you look at, the easier it will become to ID just what they are. You can look up finish-options in the old catalogs and see what the real wraps look like and then compare those with what modern suppliers have available.

I know that there are different black wraps, too. The new black wraps look glossier and a little less classic than an old black wrap -such as the old Black Cortex wrap, for example. So, when you get familiar with these things from basically just looking at a lot of them, you can tell a rewrap from ten feet away! ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

For me whats always been a good tell is the Grommet on the drums ( the little metal piece thats generally placed through a badge ). Many companies had it sealed inside and out so that the badge wouldn't come off,or the grommet itself fall out. See if you find and surface abrasions on the inside of the drum.If you do then its a good chance the drums have been re-wrapped.Also as far as the silver sparkle hoops go...that can be from a numerous number of things. Either slingerland put them on the kit,maybe another owner swapped rims at some point,etc...If you can post any pictures of the inside of the drum ( of the grommet area ) I would like to see.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

Well, this should confuse you...gloss black drums came with silver sparkle inlays...

Posted on 18 years ago

I would like to post a pic of the bass, but I dont think it will be any help. The original owner removed the badge and drilled a nice size hole (at leat 1 ") right through the top of the bass, so that he couyld put a ludwig double tom holder.

Of course he had to drill holes through the toms as well to mount the ludwig parts.

So there is no bagede on the bass because of the hole, and the tom is 1965, before Slingerland used badgeson toms. So in this particular case, looking at he condition of the grommets is impossible.

Im looking at a real project drum here.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here