Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

how to crimp snare bed

simply how should i crimp snare bed on brass shell, by myself... thanks

Posted on 12 years ago

Don't......

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

I would be looking for some one who can and has done it with no issues , you only got on kick at the can and then it's ruined for ever!

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 12 years ago

Latindrum on Drumsmith did his with a 2 by 4 and a hammer.

He mentioned some out of roundness after the initial banging, but said it was corrected.

I thought I was getting a brass Gretsch shell from ebay with no beds.

Luckily, it showed up with beds installed.

I was thinking one would need a rounded jig to hold the shell in round on the outer shell. Then maybe a rounded edge 2 by 6 to be slipped inside shell, tight, again to hold it in round.

Gentle tapping with a wood block.

I believe the main problem with tapping on a shell is keeping it in round with no deflection. Thus the tight support in and out of the shell.

A special pair of large vise grips is also in my mind. Still not sure of any of this.

Probably done in a custom press at metal shop.

Perhaps a metal fabricating shop could provide info.

I would love to know how it is done.

Please let us know.

SA

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 12 years ago

I've seen quite a few shells where this was attempted, all were messed up. (Metal is unforgiving). You could talk to a pro drum maker, but to do it right would take experience, & machinery. Seems that paying a knowledgeable pro would be the best route.

Posted on 12 years ago

Straight walled shell? Filing a bed would be your best and safest bet. Be sure there are no burrs left behind by fine sanding/grinding that could cut the head.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here