Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

How Rare is Rare - Tama Superstar

So I have a massive 70's / 80's Tama Superstar set in Super Maple. I know there are a few standard and concert toms I don't have. Those I know exist, and It's just a matter of money. But what I am wondering is how likely do you think it is that I could ever find both wood Timbales, the gong toms, gong floor toms as well as both gong bass drums in the Super Maple finish? I've seen both gong bass drums - the 20" & 22". But the gong toms and floor toms I've never seen, in any finish.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Time... a lot of time and patience.. ;) Good luck !

Posted on 8 years ago

Well I know that during the run of the Superstar series, some drum sizes / finishes were only offered in Japan. And I know the Gong Toms certainly did not catch on as the gong bass drum did. So I also have to wonder if they did such a small run, that it may be best to convert concert toms and floor toms into gong drums. They were standard sizes, would just need the gong lugs which I know Tama sells. Just one of those do I wait, or do I do some conversions?

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

You may search for ten years and never find them. At least Super Maple was a fairly popular finish but it sounds like converting could be a better option.

Posted on 8 years ago

Friend of mine had a big Superstar kit with some gong toms in Super Maple. However, he traded for a Starclassic almost 20 years ago…. No idea what happened to them...

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 8 years ago

I don't think they lasted long or made many of them. I can't even recall any top artists using them. Neil used the gong bass drums and the Timbales. The only issue I think I'll have when converting is this. I know I can find 13" and 14" single flange rims that I can use with the gong lugs and clips. But where can I find 15" & 16" single flange rims?

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

There is a set of of the Tama Superstar shells in the super maple finish on craigslist.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/5295569889.html

perhaps you could use these to get the missing sizes you want.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks thomasehirshiii - I've actually been talking with that seller. He is on the look for the same drums he has only in Candy Apple Red. But I did inquire as to the concert toms since I need those. So in a few weeks if he doesn't move the shells, we're gonna see if we can work something out. But yea he does that one 12" which would be converted. As well as the floor toms.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here