Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

how much is my 1970s ludwig set worth?

I have a 1970s ludwig 5-piece set, the serial numbers are in the 795000 range, the date stamps are all 1970. i've got the snare, two bass-mounted toms, supraphonic snare, bass drum and floor tom. also i have the original hi-hat stand. the shells are wood with a blue pearl wrap (see photos). the drums all have the olive and blue badges.

the sad thing about this set is that i didn't really know what i had until about five years ago so it's been neglected since it was bought for me in 1990 and probably not taken care of very well before that.

the metal surface of the snare is pitted and a bit corroded, and some of the wraps are starting to come off. the bass drum and tom shells are a bit warped which causes some difficulty in putting heads on and tuning the drums. the wooden rims for the bass drum are also chewed up on the edges.

i would like to know how much i should try to sell this set for, please let me know if you have any further questions or if i should post different or better pics.

thanks for your help,

Jeff

Posted on 15 years ago

It's not uncommon for wrapped Ludwig drums from that era to be slightly oversized. The raw shells were made to be exactly the specified dimension...and then the wrap was added!

Your kit looks like a 22/12/13/16 in the later "bowling ball" version of oyster blue pearl.

Neglected Supras (the snare drum) often get pitted. Many times, they clean up very well, however.

It would be helpful to see detailed pictures of the damaged areas and also some pictures of the shell's bearing edges -especially the bottom bearing edges.

Have the tom tom mounts been stripped out -any replaced bolts? -extra holes? Have the holes where the tom mounts slide onto been deformed?

From what I can see, IF you cleaned them up (and I mean CLEAN), then you might get $700-$900 for them...again, depending on the extent of the damaged wrap and also....IF the shells really are "warped" (as you say), then those warped drums are basically almost worthless.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

thanks for the response, it was very helpful, i'll have to check out some of the other things you mentioned and perhaps measure the toms and bass drum to see the extent of warping on each.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here