Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

How do you take wrap off bass drum hoop inlay to save it??

Hi

I'm restoring a Gretsch kit 1961 3ply. The hoops are HOOPED Lame. I'll be buying some replacements but I'm restoring the original GOLD SPARKLE wrap finish and I want to save the inlay to transfer to the good hoops.

What is the absolute best way to take the gold wrap off so I can rescue it to use it again?

Posted on 14 years ago

I've only dealt with the inlay on Ludwig drums, and those are just stapled on. Are the Gretsch's inlays glued on or something? If so, I don't know what to tell you. Check to see if they're merely stapled on first. If so, they should come right off when you take the staple(s) out...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

From caddywumpus

I've only dealt with the inlay on Ludwig drums, and those are just stapled on. Are the Gretsch's inlays glued on or something? If so, I don't know what to tell you. Check to see if they're merely stapled on first. If so, they should come right off when you take the staple(s) out...

These are glued on - it shouldn't be a problem I'll take my time.

I'm wondering if Acatone is too strong to remove glue from under-side of wrap inlay?

Posted on 14 years ago

From Kona

These are glued on - it shouldn't be a problem I'll take my time.I'm wondering if Acatone is too strong to remove glue from under-side of wrap inlay?

Acetone will melt the pearl inlays. DO NOT USE ACETONE.

Posted on 14 years ago

Try alcohol. If they used hide glue, it will crystallize the glue and the inlay will come right off. I have done this with wraps on older Ludwig drums... and furniture restoration.... and girls pants... oops, that slipped...:D

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here