Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

How Do You Age New White Marine Pearl Wrap?

hi vintage drum fans

Need some help here. I have bought a kit in a vintage marine pearl finish, and a snare drum in modern white maring pearl. Any ideas how i can age the new marine pearl finish on the snare drum to get a closer match to the vintage colour. The new kit and snare are modern drums, its just the wraps are two different shades.

Many thanks

Bigz:)

Posted on 14 years ago

I doubt there's a good shortcut, aside from a time machine or having it rewrapped w/ the vintage WMP wrap. What brand drums are they?

1964 Slingerland Sound King 13/15/22 Ebony Satin Stain (refin.)
1965 Ludwig Downbeat 13/16/20 Turquoise Sparkle (rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Club Date 13/20 w/16" downbeat FT in Blue Oyster Pearl
1979/80 Ludwig Classic 13/14/24 Wine Red
1980 Yamaha Rec. Cust. 12/13/16/22 Cherry Red

...plus an ever-growing snare farm... Luddy/Ayotte/Slinger/Pearl/etc.
Posted on 14 years ago

Start smoking!

Posted on 14 years ago

Tanning bed.

It worked on a purpleheart drum I made years ago to speed up the patina to purple. Purpleheart is a greyish color when you cut it. Oxygen and sunlight turn it purple...

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeah...you can do that...OR...if you really are driven for a perfect match....you can just go over to or call Drummaker.com, put a deposit down and get one of their sample sheets of Custom ColorWraps in pearl sent to you...match the swatch to the aged color of your kit...and buy a full sheet for around $100....and return the sample sheet. Rewrap the snare.

Or...since it's just the snare which is slightly off and the rest of the kit matches itself - leave it. That's not unusual for a snare to be a different shade than the rest of the set.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

The shell pack in premier series maple, the snare artist series birch. The shell pack is wrapped in a pre aged WMP whilst the snare is a new / bright WMP. Thanks so far guys, anyone else?

Posted on 14 years ago

Your looking for a quick fix and there isn't one. You have three options.... 1.) Have the snare rewrapped in vintage WMP to match the kit, 2.) Sell the snare and buy one in vintage WMP or 3.) leave it alone. Pretty staightforward since the kit doesn't have aged 40 year old WMP, just the modern version of vintage WMP.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'd say rewrap it in "vintage" white pearl if thats the look you really want to go for....I personally can't stand that aged horrible disgusting yellow nicotine look that occurs to white pearls over time.....its supposed to be white, hence the name white pearl......and to be correct the marine designation should only be used on wraps that have a slightly blue tint to it, hence the name marine.....

Posted on 14 years ago

Ok guys, thanks for your help, some fairly distinct opinons here, maybe ill leave the snare drum alone, it sits behind the rest of the kit after all!Bowing

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here