Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

How do I clean Nickle hardware?

My latest drum purchase has gorgeous matte finish nickle hardware.

Its a but dirty and pitted.

How do I clean it?

I dont want to polish it as the matte looks great in contrast to the Silver Sparkle wrap.

Thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

Don't you think it would look better cleaned up like new,the way it came from the factory?

Thats why I don't like nickel......it needs to be cleaned from time to time,and it takes a while to do properly....

I have all sorts of nickel (NOB) hoops,and every time I look at them,I just think of all the work involved to polish all of them.......

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

I prefer the brushed, matte almost Titanium look it has now.

[IMG]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5429162361_060613bf23_z.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 13 years ago

Try using simichrome metal polish (i think ive got the spelling right there). I asked the same question a while back and this product came highly recommended from another forum member. It work great.

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 13 years ago

James,

Will that make it shine or just clean the coating?

Im trying to keep the patina but just clean it up a touch.

Posted on 13 years ago

Shine....

it's a metal polish........

To each,their own,but I still don't see why you would want the parts to be dull and grotty lookingelectricit.

I hand polished a complete nickel Radio King set this past summer,and it looked like crap when I got it.

Prolly was never polished since new in 1948.

When I was done,it looked like a million bucks.

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

i dont want to erase the history of this drum by polishing it. It got this way though time, use and the elements.

I've cleaned and waxed the wrap, I'll just leave the hardware as is.

Posted on 13 years ago

Try to remove a lug (or other part) and soak it in Dawn or Ajax dishwashing liquid. Then, scrub the piece with a cloth or brush. I use Ajax and it's great for removing light rust and grime.

If you do decide to polish it, Flitz is the only thing I have found that polishes nickel to a chrome like shine.

Posted on 13 years ago

Get some never dull. I tried using it to restore nickel finish and it did not work; cleaned the surface only, so this will do what you want! if you do end up wanting to restore it, cape cod cloths will do the trick, and when it's polished up, nickel looks great.

Posted on 13 years ago

perfect! thank you

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here