Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

How do I best clean a bass drum pedal plate?

Hi guys. I'm newer to the forum as this is only my second post. I've been playing drums for 35 years and have just recently been bitten by the restoration bug. I've looked at quite a few pages for a direct answer and can't seem to find one. What do you guys use to clean pedals--as in the part that your foot rests on? It's almost commical that I've tried some cleaners I've used on other drum parts as recommended on this forum and find that after the pedal dries, it looks no different? Specifically, I have a beater Gretsch pedal and a Premier trilok type pedal. They both seem to be made of some type of aluminum or aluminum alloy. I do not have easy access to any high speed buffing equipment. It's all hand work for now. If I've missed an obvious post, I thank you ahead of time for your patience. Dean

Posted on 11 years ago
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, Simichrome or similar to polish it.. I use one called "Shine" made by Dursol in Germany.. It is particularly good on Alloy.

First soak it in some warm water with dishwashing liquid, then give it a scrub with a nylon brush to remove the Gunk.. (you know... the dog turds and chewing gum)..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

an old tooth brush( stiffer the better) is a good tool to find all the grime in the fissures and corners and similarily valuable for a polishing as well. nailbrushes or showbrushes are also good. some of those pedals don't come up too shiney ,though .

Posted on 11 years ago

Good timing with the question, I just stripped a speed king down and was about to start the cleaning process..

Longjohn I'll look out for some 'shine', as your in the same neck of the woods as I.

Anybody ever used a Dremel with the correct attachments to do this job?

Happy Drumming
Tony
Posted on 11 years ago

I have tried the Dremel.. leaves circular marks...Had to then polish them out by hand.

The Shine works great but you won't buy it in Sydney for under 20 bucks for a small tube.. best bought on the web... Autosol is also good and this you will find at Supercheap Auto.

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks Longjohn.. I'll take at rip to super cheap..

Cheers

Happy Drumming
Tony
Posted on 11 years ago

You guys are totally awesome! Thank you very much for all of your advice. I will report on my findings..... Dean

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here