Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

How do hole in tom affect on sound?

I have set there tomholder have been replaced from someone to larger , modern pearlish variant.

Today I am using rims on toms.

But hole is still there, and its about 4 -5 cm ( 1.5 - 2 inch diameter) .

I acctually do not care about it, but question is.... does those holes ( one in each tom) affect badly on the tom sound?

As I find it, toms sound warm, nice, round, lovley.... But it could have a little little more punch and attack ( may be wrong drums?)

And IF it affect on sound, what shall I do with it?

Or it does not affect att allon sound ?

Camco LA-Ebony Stain-73/78?
Premier "Pre" Elite-Turquis Oyster-1969
Trixon Luxus-Red Ripple-1961
Sneres - Ludwig, Slingerland, GeoWay and so on...
Cymbals- Most K-Zildjian & Paiste 2002
(and some Pearl, Tama and so long, long time ago...)

http://groovesuperfly.webs.com/

What type of drum is it? Vintage three ply with rings are not going to be punchy like modern drums.

Posted on 13 years ago

It´s Camco, 6 ply thin maple with reinforcement rings.

Toms are sound buatiful ( much more tone then my Slingerland, Ludwig, Premier, Pearl, Trixon ...) , but I made a record recently, and I when I remove some frequensis on EQ, they soung gourges, but not so much punch and attack as I wish...

And I started to think if it have to do with holes.

Different model and layout, but my SSB Gretsh had the mounts removed before I bought them. So they came with fairly big, squarish holes.

Aesthetically the sight of the holes bothers a lot of drummers. No one else seems to notice. They mic up and record very well. Now and then I think about patching them, but really don't see any need. They are in regular gigging rotation, and been so for years.

I do have other intact Gretsch, and if the comparison between them holds, the drums with the holes don't sound much diff from the intact drums. But everybody's mileage can vary on this subjective a topic.

Patrick

Posted on 13 years ago

I am thinking as you, so far they sounds good, there is no reason to do anything about it.

Probably, it´s just me thinking about it, and some other drummers, but anybody else dont.

But I was thinking that they maybe destroy sound, or taking away some of the punch.

I can [COLOR="Red"]try[/COLOR] to link recording of them...

It can be that its how this set sound, it can be that I have a coated and not clear heads, it can have do with my 0 expireince of drum recording ???

I would say it has more to do with your head choice. I was never a fan of coated heads only from the standpoint that the coating flakes and sticks to my Paiste Colorsounds. But the sound is great. I am trying coated heads again. Just not the cheap Chinese coated heads, they flake immediately after your first hit!!!

I would think that when holes make a big difference in sound is when you have a bunch of them, and I am talking where it relieves your drum of serious weight, like 25% or more weight relief. I know that OCDP makes quite a few holey snare drums, as well as a few others.

One tom mount set's worth of holes (one big and four little, for example) is not going to net serious weight relief. Now, if it were drilled for about two or three tom mounts, the sound would change.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Now the lack of punch could just be miking, compression and EQ techniques. Didn't quite understand until I re-read your post on the subject of recording.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

First I recorded drums with cheap Shure micks.

Then I started to watch recording tips on youtube, eq, reverb, gate, compressor.... and it start sound worse, and worse and worse... Cooked Egg

And then I delete everything, and started from the beginning...

JUST EQ, pan and volym. Then I find a prety good sound. But I would like to have a little more punch.

I hade a same idea, it could have to do with heads- I use evans G2 coated on toms, and evans clear as reso. I tune over and underhead same ( som likes a little higher tune on reso head), but I find drums sound "prerfect" when heads tuned rhe same- ( and its amazing easy with this drums.Yes Sir ).

I was before made a very simple test recording on my old Slingerland, (when I was stuggeling with my Cubase LE first day I got presonus sound card), with Pinsripe, and there was much more attack and punch. No compressor or such things...I know that it sound horrible, playing and everything, but now I get it better. Could be that they have clear pinsripe......

http://groovesuperfly.webs.com/sounds.htm

But I will try to uppload soundclip I am talking about, hold on...

And, yes, I have been reading that you have to mick properly from the bigining...( **** in- **** out), but I just put mics over drums, adjuste level on soundcard, without listening after any "sweet spots" or such things...

I like condenser mics on drums. Though surprisingly enough, there is a nice Heil mic that costs about a C-note (PR-22) that is GREAT for micing drums. It is also a great vocal mic.

But Shure condenser mics (SM57) are great for drums AND overheads. I like to mic the toms, do a pair of overheads, mic the snare side head, a mic between the hi hat and snare top head (biased towards the hi hat), and a room mic (usually a large diaphragm condenser, with a compressor cranked up). Now- with that room mic, you had BETTER make certain that nothing is squeaky.

I have to admit, however that I record drums with samples these days. The only instruments I record live are the snare and cymbals.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

I use sm57 on snare.

Shure PG52 for basdrum, PG56 for toms, and 2 Shure PG82 overhead.

On the bottom of snare I take some cheap song mic.

But on that clip , above, I did not use anything under the snare.

Action Another action Something else here