Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

How Can This Be???

Hey Drum Freaks....

I'd mentioned some days back that I won a Early 70's Ludwig Supra (Brass w/Modified B/O Badge. )

Got it the other day, and just finished cleaning, polishing and putting her back together. I'd mentioned I might want to re chrome...well, I don't know what was on the guy's mind who posted this drum, but it's in, at the very LEAST...Very, Very Good-Excellent condition! One or two lugs have some tarnish, but nothing more than a nice patina...the rest of the drum is solid..and I mean...maybe two scratches...and the usual tiny pitting on the rims, here and there...otherwise...STUNNING!!!This drum needed nothing but some TLC and Elbow Grease.

That being said, new heads, snares and all..I just couldn't get it outta my head that this drum didn't feel any heaver than my Aluminum Supra...I took that one out..and MAN do they feel the same...finally, upstairs to the bathroom scale..and

They both weigh in at 7 lbs!!!

I need some help here folks..I mean, there IS a "B" stamped on this drum, and the seller was not aware of it'S meaning anything until asked by a bidder.

Do I have a Brass drum?

Have I been Had?

Has the Seller been had?

Waiting with bated breath!!!

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago

How old is the supra you are comparing it to? In the early 60's, Supra lugs were much heavier, and got lighter as time went on. Rims were also heavier if they were COB.

I would remove all of the hardware from each shell, and then weigh the shells. Probably would do a shaving too.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi...The Supra I'm comparing it to is a 1965 S# 229860

To do a "Shaving" would I remove a lug and scrape inside?

Thanks for your help

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago

Does the '65 have COB rims?

To do a shaving, you remove a lug and file some metal off at one of the lug holes. You don't want to go so deep as to deform the hole, but you need to make sure you are past the layer of chrome, and past the copper plating that can be found on Ludalloy drums. You might need a bright light and a magnifying glass to see if the shavings are brass.

Posted on 16 years ago

OK....at the risk of sounding like a dope.....Brass would be a gold color, as apposed to...?????

That being said, If I find that this drum is indeed, Brass...what does that say about the weight?

Many thanks,

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes, a gold color for the brass. I think the weight difference can be chalked up to the hardware, as well as the change in manufacturing process for a brass shell.

You said there is no seam, so it's very possible that a spun, seamless brass shell is lighter than the older shells with the seam.

And let's say your '65 has COB rims. The aluminum shell might weigh 5 lbs, and the heavier COB rims plus the older, heavier lugs might weigh an additional 2 lbs, bringing the total to 7 lbs.

On the newer, brass drum, the shell might be a whole pound heavier, weighing 6 lbs. The COS and newer lugs might be significantly lighter, weighing only 1 lbs, but still bringing the total for the drum to 7 lbs. See what I mean? And these numbers are in no way accurate, just to illustrate the idea.

Another very remote possibility is that the drum is fake. To do this, one would have to de-chrome the shell, stamp the B, re-chrome it, then make it look "original" and non-suspect by making it dirty, and putting a wrong muffler on it. If you knew what you were doing, you could take a heavily pitted supra, pay $250 for a re-chrome, and then get $1000 for it on ebay. Again, very, very unlikely, but I've heard of stranger things.

Posted on 16 years ago

From mlvibes

Yes, a gold color for the brass. I think the weight difference can be chalked up to the hardware, as well as the change in manufacturing process for a brass shell.You said there is no seam, so it's very possible that a spun, seamless brass shell is lighter than the older shells with the seam.And let's say your '65 has COB rims. The aluminum shell might weigh 5 lbs, and the heavier COB rims plus the older, heavier lugs might weigh an additional 2 lbs, bringing the total to 7 lbs.On the newer, brass drum, the shell might be a whole pound heavier, weighing 6 lbs. The COS and newer lugs might be significantly lighter, weighing only 1 lbs, but still bringing the total for the drum to 7 lbs. See what I mean? And these numbers are in no way accurate, just to illustrate the idea.Another very remote possibility is that the drum is fake. To do this, one would have to de-chrome the shell, stamp the B, re-chrome it, then make it look "original" and non-suspect by making it dirty, and putting a wrong muffler on it. If you knew what you were doing, you could take a heavily pitted supra, pay $250 for a re-chrome, and then get $1000 for it on ebay. Again, very, very unlikely, but I've heard of stranger things.

I remember, on one of these "is it a brass supra" posts, and there have been about a billion, that one collector said that the alloy and brass shells weighed almost exactly the same...the earlier lugs on the brass drum were denser and weighed a lot more than the lugs on the alloy drum, hence the idea that the brass drums are heavier.

Posted on 16 years ago

Wow!!!

Thanks so much!!! Yes, there is NO Seam. How did you know there is a "Different" muffler...did you see this one on eBay? I have to believe it is brass, but what blows me away is the fact that on both Supras....the INSIDE looks identical. Is this so? By that I mean, does a brass and alloy drum appear the same on the interior?

Yes, my 65 had COB hoops!

Thanks so much, and any other info is greatly appreciated!!! Sure glad I found this forum

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago

From Rich K.

I remember, on one of these "is it a brass supra" posts, and there have been about a billion, that one collector said that the alloy and brass shells weighed almost exactly the same...the earlier lugs on the brass drum were denser and weighed a lot more than the lugs on the alloy drum, hence the idea that the brass drums are heavier.

That's good to know! This does come up over, and over, and over again, doesn't it. Here's yet another variable to add to the headache - what if you were to test the shells for electric resistance? Shouldn't a brass shell have much lower resistance because of all the copper? Or would the aluminum have less because of the pure copper pre-plating? YOU be the judge...electricit

Posted on 16 years ago

Interesting about the dense lugs....I wonder if that's the reason why one of my 60's 14 X 14 floor toms weighs 1/2 lb. more than the other...???

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here