Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

How Can I Tell If Radio King Hardware is Nickel or Chome?

Hi All:

I have a chance to pick up some hardware pieces for my Radio King. Only problem is, the seller doesn't seem to know if the pieces are nickel or chrome and I can't tell either (from pictures).

Is there a way I can tell the seller to check so I can be sure what the pieces are?

Thanks much.

Great site.

Posted on 17 years ago

Here is a picture of the strainer the guy sent me.

Any way you can tell what the finish is? I would hate to buy it only to find out it is nickel and not chrome to match my snare.

Thanks very much.

Posted on 17 years ago

Looks like nickel to me.

My father had a lot of old drums, and nickel hardware was very cheap, and broke very easily.

This photo looks like nickel to me, but a lot of the older drums from that time had nickel hardware. Too bad my father?s not around today, because he would have loved this forum.

Posted on 17 years ago

Looks like nickel to me also. Nickel, unless it has been highly buffed will look like it has been dipped in tea. It has a slight darker color then chrome.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Here is a picture of the strainer the guy sent me.Any way you can tell what the finish is? I would hate to buy it only to find out it is nickel and not chrome to match my snare.Thanks very much.

Nickel plating will have a "goldish-yellowish" hue whereas chrome plating will have a "bluish" hue...and...chrome didn't appear on hardware until after 1929...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

Wow, thanks for the quick response everybody.

You have confirmed my suspicions, as it sort of (to my untrained eye) had a softer sheen rather than the usual shine of chrome. Even when chrome is dirty or scratched, it has a distinct shine to it.

But, clearly I wasn't sure, so this has helped (unfortunately) me make the decision to pass.

Very much appreciated!

Peter

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here