Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

How bad is this & how do I repair it?

Bought a 67' Super Classic a few weeks ago. I'm worried this crack/dent might get worse over time. Is it worth repairing or is it just a minor dent? Its not very deep, but still I'd like to know if I should be worried about it.

BTW its a 22' kick drum.

http://s1126.beta.photobucket.com/user/krismiller1982/library/Kick

Posted on 11 years ago

Can you tell if the paint on the interior is original to the drum? If you think it is, than the rough area around the mount hole is more than likely something that happenned at the factory durring drilling. It looks like some of the inner ply chipped away. I would just pull that lug and inspect the area. If the area is solid, you should be ok to let it go. I suppose to error on the side of being safe. I would. 1st: Pull the lug to inspect. 2nd: (If there is any looseness to the plies there, or any issue with it being 100% solid.) Work wood glue into the loose plies, and clamp it securely until the glue sets up. You would most likely want to use a couple pieces of scrap wood, and locate a propper clamp for your application.

Good luck! Keep us posted.....

Posted on 11 years ago

Its definitely the original paint. I'm gonna pull the lug now.

Posted on 11 years ago

I think its from the factory too. Everything was solid underneath. BTW, how tight do I screw the lug back on? Just until its snug/finger tight? It didn't take too much to loosen it.

Posted on 11 years ago

Replace the factory washer with a large fender washer.

Posted on 11 years ago

-Snug- never over-tighten lug screws. You'll push the washer into the plies, crushing them and you'll get a deep mark on your wrap from the edges of the lug on the outside.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Screw was too tight,..probably a void in the layers. If it were me,..I`d put the lug back on, dip my finger into joint compound and press it hard into the cracks, then butter on a little to level and wash the excess off the next morning with a damp. If you take your time you will only leave the cracks filled showing. The white will fade and white blends good !! Plaster of paris would need to be sanded after dry, not drywall joint compound.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here