Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Hoops for Powertone

Hi guys.

I picked up a 60's Rogers Powertone snare :) . An welcome addition to my three piece Rogers Holiday kit.

I have a feeling that the snare wires and the hoops may not be original.

Are the original hoops very flexy? Also, the edge of the bottom hoop is noticeably not consistently equidistant from the bearing edge of the drum. I suspect some hoop "bendage". What was the thickness of the original hoops, and what would be a good replacement? Would S-hoops be a sacrilege?

Also, what heads and snare wires would work the best for this drum?

Any advice and info would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Posted on 11 years ago

Pics or it never happened.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 11 years ago

Serial is 18xxx

Some pics:

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

I run Ambassador top and bottom heads with narrow (18-20 strand) snare wires. Sounds fantastic- articulate enough without too much buzz and plenty loud.

These are LOUD drums (when the FOH asks you to turn down and it's not even miced, you know its loud). They were my number one for several years and I have tinnitus from THIS DRUM.

I may part one of mine out, and if so, I'll try to remember who was looking for hoops...

They are readily available, so there is no harm in putting on the hoops you want. Drilling extra holes is another issue, but hoops are easily swapped around. Mine are packed away or I'd gladly mic up the hoops for you.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

I am thinking this is from the gray speckled Dayton era, aprox. in the range with low 100,000 serial numbers, later 68.

Hoops look original. Is there a diplomat snare side? its probably stretched.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, the sticker says Dayton.

I replaced the hoops for 2.3 mm.

Also a new Evans Hazy 300 head and 20 strand puresound wires.

Very musical sounding drum!

I am yet to try it out live. Will try to find the optimum tuning for it.

Posted on 11 years ago

This drum is pretty forgiving with the tuning...

Just wear your ear plugs! The rim shots are piercing! They will penetrate depleted Uranium!

I ran with the heads I mentioned before (Ambassador top and bottom) and even as the head would start to 'crater' in the center, it still sounded quite good.

I think you're going to like it!

By the way, I have an early one (maybe Dayton but maybe earlier even) and a Fullerton CA one (the CBS years) and they sound identical. It is just a collector value due to age thing, but they are the same exact drum. So, if you want a player, find a later one and enjoy it!

My style went more fusion than progressive rock and that is when I switched to the piccolo snare. You will notice I never unloaded the Powertone snares however...Cool Dude

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here