Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Hollywood Ace?

Hey, y'all. I just bought this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250982077828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

off ebay. I imagine I probably paid too much, but I was smitten by the white pearl. I mean, I don't even know if it is a real "hollywood ace." What the hell comes over me?!

Hasn't arrived yet.

Here's the question -- if that seam that is raised worth addressing? Or is it such a process that better off left alone.

I know, I'm premature and it'd be easier to assess once it arrives, but I am curious

Posted on 12 years ago

The seam is easily fixed.

I don't think you paid too much.

Looks to be a little inner ply bubbling there, but that's fixable too.

The elongated hole is likely from a Ludwig strainer being installed at one time, it's a shame to have elongated the hole.... it will fit just fine if the mounting feet are bent in slightly.

Looks just like a Hollywood Ace to me.

That seller always has nice items.

Killer wrap!

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Well that's good news. I'm sucker for a pretty face!

I didn't notice the inner ply bubbling at all.

I've been doing a lot of hardware restoration -- I posted a bunch! -- but these drums are calling to me. A couple of Acro projects in the works, and a Slingerland COB.

When this arrives, believe me, I'll appreciate your help and guidance...as always!

Posted on 12 years ago

Nice Ace!...got a few issues, but still a nice drum. I'm not a wrap expert but a little pulling like that is nothing. I'd be more concerned about the bubbles in the inner layer of the shell. These can also be repaired, it just takes a little time. I use a large gauge syringe purchased from the Vet's office & some (very lightly) diluted wood glue. You can inject this into the bubbles, clamp it & let it dry. I usually put a few slits around the outside edges of the bubble with an X-Acto to release the air & make sure to wipe all excess expelled glue. Be sure to only dilute the glue enough to get it through the needle. If the needle gauge is large enough, you might not have to dilute it at all.

Just my 2 cents

"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Posted on 12 years ago

This is an excellent snare (w/ brass hoops), at a good price. The seam should be fixed, & will get worse if neglected. However, it is an easy job.

Posted on 12 years ago

Well, I have some good sized syringes lying around for my insulin pump... and what you've described makes sense. My question is, how serious is it? Is it going to deteriorate?

The wrap? You can bet I'll be asking for lots of advice.

I've heard these have a wonderful sound... sometimes described as "vitange wood."

Posted on 12 years ago

From bfulton

Well, I have some good sized syringes lying around for my insulin pump... and what you've described makes sense. My question is, how serious is it? Is it going to deteriorate?The wrap? You can bet I'll be asking for lots of advice.I've heard these have a wonderful sound... sometimes described as "vitange wood."

The right glue & right advise, it's not Rocket Science! LOL! Just time & patience...It's not serious & as long as you address it, it will not deteriorate. Didn't mean to alarm you, just want to let you know that the wrap is just a visual, the shell is where your drum makes music. It's just a little lift on the inner ply & easily fixed! Get your drum, evaluate it, and get back to us...there's a lot of experts on this site that can help you.

Beautiful Drum, I'll bet it sounds awesome right out of the box!

Dan

"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Posted on 12 years ago

The Ace arrived -- wow. What a heartbreaker. SO beautiful -- did just a bit of playing...talk about vintage wood!

Anyway, as indicated in the original post, it does have some things that may need addressing. The seller did an excellent job in disclosing these, by the way, so kudos to him.

One is the elongated bubbles in the inner play. There was some tips re: diluted glue, syringe, clamps, etc....

So writing for more detailed advice. Type of glue, dilute with what...etc. All the regular I've-never-worked-on-a-vintage-snare newbie questions.

The other is the very very slight lifting at the top of the seam.

Attached some photos. I circled a crack that may need to be looked at, if possible - and drawn a line under what I thought was a crack, but is not; it's a finish edge.

So.... is there a doctor in the house??

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0005.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0004.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0001.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here