Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Hi hat cup replacement

Recently, there was a thread regarding replacement hi hat cups. I stumbled upon an old Slingerland Epic hi hat that has no cup to hold the bottom cymbal. It simply has a 3/4” diameter pipe.

I can’t locate the previous thread. Can anyone please direct me to it, or tell me what I can use as a replacement or substitute cup?

Thank you extra mucho.

Josh

Posted on 5 years ago

According to reviews this will fit a 3/4-in tube.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-SC-4980J-Hat-Cymbal-Seat/dp/B0002H06K0"]Amazon.com: Gibraltar SC-4980J Hi Hat Cymbal Seat: Musical Instruments[/ame]

Posted on 5 years ago

copied from Musicians Friend:

Great part for 3/4" tube

3 years ago

This is a great part. But I discovered upon arrival that, in spite of what I had read in some other reviews, it is for a 3/4" tube. I only gave 4 stars because Gibraltar should give the specs in their ads and then the retailers could as well. I adapted it for my use but some folks may not know how.

Eman · Reviewed on Musician's Friend

Posted on 5 years ago

Mo, I just read all the reviews and did not see a reference to 3/4”. But I believe you if you say you saw it!

Also, somebody had posted a hack on substituting something else for the cup that was designed for something else. I can’t remember what it was...

Posted on 5 years ago

From jmcohen

Recently, there was a thread regarding replacement hi hat cups. I stumbled upon an old Slingerland Epic hi hat that has no cup to hold the bottom cymbal. It simply has a 3/4” diameter pipe.I can’t locate the previous thread. Can anyone please direct me to it, or tell me what I can use as a replacement or substitute cup?Thank you extra mucho.Josh

Hi Josh,

Are you certain that the Epic HH tube is 3/4" and not 5/8"? As to the cup from Gibraltar, I've used it on two Slingerland hi hat stands; the Dynamo and #804 flush base stands, both of which use a 5/8" tube. The cup was a perfect fit, but I'm not quite sure if it will expand another 1/8" to accommodate a 3/4" tube. Might be worth a try, though.

-Mark

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Mark,

Just remeasured - three quarters.

So you don’t think the Gibralter cup will fit?

Josh

Posted on 5 years ago

From jmcohen

Mark,Just remeasured - three quarters.So you don’t think the Gibralter cup will fit?Josh

Hey Josh!

I really think this cup is 5/8". If it was larger, it would have been a very loose fit on both my stands. It was a fairly snug fit and worked perfectly. That old Epic stand is an odd diameter at 3/4". There's got to be something out there that will fit, but I'm not sure what it might be.

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

I've also got one of these Gibraltar cups. It is on my Ludwig 1123-1 stand which has a 5/8" tube (outer diameter).

Here's the trick (and I suspect where the misinformation is coming from). The cup fits two different diameter tubes. For use with 5/8" tubing the tube slots into the plastic as in the photos above. But if you have a larger diameter tube it goes over the outside of the plastic. In that mode it fits a 1" tube (outer diameter) with an inner diameter of 15/16".

There is a difference between outside and inside diameter and you need to be clear which measurement you are talking about to make sure that it will work in each case. I've just tried it with a cymbal stand tube which is 7/8" outer diameter (inner diameter 3/4") and that doesn't fit over the plastic.

It's not clear whether you could turn the plastic mound on a lathe and remove enough diameter to get the tube you have to fit over it. The plastic piece itself has a wall thickness of 1/8" but I can't say how much you might remove without sacrificing structural integrity. Whether that would work depends on the inner diameter of your tube, which in turn depends on the metal tubing thickness.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I've measuring in inches, but it may be more appropriate to do so more accurately than I've done. The person who gave measurements on the Amazon review:

The Gibraltar tilt cymbal holder has the following attributes. The nylon type plastic lower bushing sleeve that attaches to the fixed tube has an external outside diameter of 29/32 inch with a length up to the first step flange of 5/8 inch. The OD of this step flange is 1 inch. The OD length of a 1 inch ID tube would slip up 27/32 to capture the cymbal fitting at the level of the tilt screw. There is 1/4 inch clearance between the screw and step flange on the outside. For the inside of the bottom flange you have a 3/4 inch ID hole with a depth of 15/16 to the interior seat. So a 3/4 inch OD tube will slip into the fitting 15/16 inch. There is a 5/16 hole through the cymbal sleeve and the cymbal sleeve is approximately 1 and 1/8 inch in length above the metal tilt washer. The sidewall thickness of the cymbal sleeve is aproximately 1/16 inch. Since it's nylon, you can also sand and drill it to better fit your tubes. I've used these for intermediate cymbal tilt/holders in stacked cymbal set ups for years by modifying them to fit several different situations.

seems to be going down to 32nd of an inch. I believe he (or she) is reporting the same thing I am: dual use and fits a 1" or 5/8" outer diameter tube. Except that they somehow have 3/4" OD which doesn't line up with what we know to be 5/8" OD, and they have the wall thickness of the plastic at 1/16" but on mine it is 1/8". I don't know how somebody measuring to the nearest 32nd of an inch can get those differences from my measurements, but it could be down to the cup being metric and we would do better to measure things as such. Of course the vintage tubes are going to be in fractions of inches.

Posted on 5 years ago

Fellas, I think I’ll try my hand at finding something at the hardware store that’ll fit the diameter of the tube. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Does anyone know how to remove the guts from an old Slingerland Epic hh stand? I don’t see an easy way to do it. I think maybe the bottom plug is either a welded fit or force fit?

Thanks,

Josh

Posted on 5 years ago

I couldn’t find anything at Home Depot that I thought would work. I popped the cymbal seat off of my 80’s Slingerland Magnum hi hat (the Magnum barely slides up and down and weighs about 20 lbs). The plastic sleeve was about 1/32” to tight. I subjected the underside to my heatgun and, voila, she fits ‘Like a Glove.’

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here