Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Hi, everyone. Etched Brass Ludwig Question.

Hi, I'm new to the site and have been able to find out some very helpful info. , unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any info. on a Ludwig snare I got recently at a flea market in NYC. It is 6.5 X 14 10 lug snare with a smoothe brass {I assume brass as there is a B above where the muffler, which is missing, was} shell, but it also has flowers etched like a Black Beauty. The etching goes all around. It has a Keystone badge. I have no idea of age although I have the serial number, it is in great shape with only a few little spots of discoloration.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I dated some of my old Gretsch snares here and figure this is the place for info.

Thanks so much for the great site and the beautiful pics.

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Does the badge read "Chicago" or "Monroe NC". I don't reacall seeing the brass drums with etching like that directly into the brass. If it has the Chicago badge it could be from around 1984 prior to the move to Monroe NC. I think Ludwig stopped making engraved drums by 1984 though. The black beauty drums returned sometime in the 90's. I think maybe 1992 and the engraving was done by John Alderidge. You could go to the notsomoderndrummer.com website and probobly ask John himself. He might know more about it. Did you get a good price?? Looks like a very nice drum. Congrats.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks so much, it does say Chicago on the badge, so that will help, I didn't know about that. i'm mostly a Gretsch guy. I will try John as well. I got it for 100.00 because i complained that the rims didn't match and the muffler was gone. i'd say a good price. Thanks again for your in time and effort.

Posted on 16 years ago

That makes sense that it is a Chicago badge because the engraving looks like the machined engraving Ludwig did around 1979-81 on thier black beauty's. That is an odd drum for sure. Having that badge would seem tp put it in the 1984 time frame but I thought they had stopped engraving drums by this time. Interesting. I am curious as to what John thinks now.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here