Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Help/advice needed on Leedy/Wurlitzer Snare

Hello!

I recently bought this snare at an antique store and in spite of the research I've been doing I still have a few questions and I was hoping some of you here might have some answers or know where I could go for more info. Please be patient, as I've been playing drums for quite a while but I'm pretty new to vintage drums, especially ones this old. Thanks in advance!

Here's what I've figured out so far.

The drum is a 15" x 4" snare with 8 lugs.

The only marking anywhere on the drum is a "Wurlitzer Cincinnati Chicago" mark stamped on the top rim, and Leedy built drums for Wurlitzer.

Shell is probably nickel over brass, as a magnet won't stick to the shell, and the plating is way too clean to be chrome.

The 2 screw lugs place the drum as pre-1925.

Overall the drum looks very similar to a Leedy Utility model, but I can't find an exact match to my drum.

When I found the drum, it still had it's original calf heads, torn to pieces. The snare wires, throw off and butt, lugs, rods, hoops, and clips were all very rusted, while the shell was virtually spotless. The throw off had been detached from the shell and the screws long gone, just the wires were holding it on to the drum. The throw off had been repaired at some point, because the pin(s) holding the lever on had been replaced by a random piece of bent metal, perhaps an old skinny nail.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/WinstonWolf359/DSCF2646.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/WinstonWolf359/DSCF2659.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/WinstonWolf359/DSCF2653.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/WinstonWolf359/DSCF2656.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/WinstonWolf359/DSCF2661.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/WinstonWolf359/DSCF2662.jpg[/IMG]

I disassembled the drum and cleaned off the rust the best I could and gave all of the parts a good polish. The hoops especially are still pretty pitted, but everything else cleaned up well. I used two new pieces of wire to attempt to fix the throw off but I don't think I got it right as the leverage still won't hold the throw off engaged when I put tension on the snares. I replaced the heads with Remo Renaissance heads, top and bottom, and I set aside the old snare wires and put a modern set on it for the time being.

Here is the part I still need a little help on.

Is the shell definately brass, or could it be aluminum? Is that nickel plating for sure? I've never seen nickel look THAT shiny before.

What is the "proper" way to reassemble the throw off so it works correctly? Even just a clear picture will work.

What is a ball park value on the drum?

Again, thanks for any help you might have!

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hello! I recently bought this snare at an antique store and in spite of the research I've been doing I still have a few questions and I was hoping some of you here might have some answers or know where I could go for more info. Please be patient, as I've been playing drums for quite a while but I'm pretty new to vintage drums, especially ones this old. Thanks in advance! Here's what I've figured out so far. The drum is a 15" x 4" snare with 8 lugs. The only marking anywhere on the drum is a "Wurlitzer Cincinnati Chicago" mark stamped on the top rim, and Leedy built drums for Wurlitzer. Shell is probably nickel over brass, as a magnet won't stick to the shell, and the plating is way too clean to be chrome. The 2 screw lugs place the drum as pre-1925. Overall the drum looks very similar to a Leedy Utility model, but I can't find an exact match to my drum. When I found the drum, it still had it's original calf heads, torn to pieces. The snare wires, throw off and butt, lugs, rods, hoops, and clips were all very rusted, while the shell was virtually spotless. The throw off had been detached from the shell and the screws long gone, just the wires were holding it on to the drum. The throw off had been repaired at some point, because the pin(s) holding the lever on had been replaced by a random piece of bent metal, perhaps an old skinny nail.I disassembled the drum and cleaned off the rust the best I could and gave all of the parts a good polish. The hoops especially are still pretty pitted, but everything else cleaned up well. I used two new pieces of wire to attempt to fix the throw off but I don't think I got it right as the leverage still won't hold the throw off engaged when I put tension on the snares. I replaced the heads with Remo Renaissance heads, top and bottom, and I set aside the old snare wires and put a modern set on it for the time being. Here is the part I still need a little help on. Is the shell definately brass, or could it be aluminum? Is that nickel plating for sure? I've never seen nickel look THAT shiny before. What is the "proper" way to reassemble the throw off so it works correctly? Even just a clear picture will work. What is a ball park value on the drum? Again, thanks for any help you might have!

Hi,

Your drum is worth 300.00 +/-....definitely nickel plating (chrome wasn't offered until @1929)...the strainer looks correct the way it's set up, it's very common for the original connecting rod to have failed and a substitute piece put in its place (that part can be easily reproduced)...that's probably the original strainer in that the flip-up lever doesn't have a manufacturer's stamp...the Leedy version of that drum would have had "Leedy..." stamped on the flip-up lever...Here's a 4x15 Wurlitzer in a slightly different version (Presto strainer/Multi-Model rims) that is an engraved Black Elite Model...

Mike Curotto

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the info Mike! :)

One other thing I thought of. I'm keeping the drum, so I'd like to make it a little more player friendly, which means I'd like to replace the slotted tension rods with standard rods, and replace the single flange hoops with something less pitted.

Will common modern tension rods fit, or do I need to find vintage ones, and does anyone have a source for 15" snare side single flange hoops?

Again, thanks!

:)

Posted on 16 years ago

It seems that many of the Leedy multi models with the "wurlizter" on them had the straight clip type rims instead of the cast multi model rims.

Those tension rods are 10/24 so common 12/24 rods won't work.

I'd use the drum as is...so what if the rims are pitted??

You may want to rig a rubber band on the throw off if you're gonna slam some back beats...

Posted on 16 years ago

Part of the reason I seemed to have a hard time pinning down info on my particular drum is I've not yet seen one that had the combo of single flange hoops, slotted tension rods, and the Utility throw off. I also haven't seen that many 15" drums, but like I said I am kinda new to this.

Were the Wurlitzer drums considered "second line" drums by Leedy? That might explain the slightly less advanced hardware.

As for changing the hoops, the top hoop especially still looks and feels a bit rough, so I'd like to change it as much for a feel reason as a looks reason. So since I'm pretty sure I'm not going to resell the drum I'd like to clean it up so it looks a little more "vintage" and a little less just plain "old."

How bad of an idea would it be to have the lugs replated?

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Part of the reason I seemed to have a hard time pinning down info on my particular drum is I've not yet seen one that had the combo of single flange hoops, slotted tension rods, and the Utility throw off. I also haven't seen that many 15" drums, but like I said I am kinda new to this.Were the Wurlitzer drums considered "second line" drums by Leedy? That might explain the slightly less advanced hardware.As for changing the hoops, the top hoop especially still looks and feels a bit rough, so I'd like to change it as much for a feel reason as a looks reason. So since I'm pretty sure I'm not going to resell the drum I'd like to clean it up so it looks a little more "vintage" and a little less just plain "old."How bad of an idea would it be to have the lugs replated?

I just did a rather lengthy restoration article for NSMD that will answer your questions...the shell looks good, the lugs look like they need a good cleaning/polishing (you can get repro tension rods from NSMD accessories)...the rims and tension rods are steel and are always in the worst shape, so I'd clean/polish the rims and tension rods and then shoot them with some clear lacquer so they won't get any worse...I don't think that you need to replate anything...good luck.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it!

The one thing I haven't commented on so far is the way this drum sounds. I'm still playing around with some different tunings but I've never heard a drum that sounds quite like this one before. I'm really surprised how the 15" diameter makes this drum sound so big. I think this is going to be a fun drum to play.

:)

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here