Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

help, wood plies stuck on wrap

Ok, so I recently removed some Psych Red wrap from a 67-68 drum that I am going to use to re-wrap a snare or two. MAIN PROBLEM: drum was in rough rough shape and when I removed the wrap, some of the outer mahogany ply came off (in strips) with the wrap. I used a heat gun and went slow but the outer ply just fell apart. Luckily the drum is useless to me. I need to know how to remove the wood from the wrap without hurting the wrap. It's going to be very sensitive to cracking.

PS - The drum I took the wrap off of was an original 20" Psych Red Floor Tom. Dont worry, it was pretty much destroyed so I didn't ruin a perfectly good RARE floor tom.

-Beau

1969 Ludwig Big Beat Mod Orange 12/13/16/22
1976 Ludwig Green Vistalite 12/13/16/22 & 5 1/2x14
1940 Ludwig & Ludwig Universal Concert Snare 6.5x14
2013 C&C Aged WMP 13/16/22

beaubruns.tumblr.com
cowboyindianbear.com
Posted on 12 years ago

From CIBDrummer

Ok, so I recently removed some Psych Red wrap from a 67-68 drum that I am going to use to re-wrap a snare or two. MAIN PROBLEM: drum was in rough rough shape and when I removed the wrap, some of the outer mahogany ply came off (in strips) with the wrap. I used a heat gun and went slow but the outer ply just fell apart. Luckily the drum is useless to me. I need to know how to remove the wood from the wrap without hurting the wrap. It's going to be very sensitive to cracking.PS - The drum I took the wrap off of was an original 20" Psych Red Floor Tom. Dont worry, it was pretty much destroyed so I didn't ruin a perfectly good RARE floor tom. -Beau

Beau,

Don't have any advice to remove the ply from the wrap... but don't throw-out the BD shell. I've successfully repaired similar issues on shells.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Well, if you need a 20" Floor Tom shell it's all yours! Sure we can work something out...

1969 Ludwig Big Beat Mod Orange 12/13/16/22
1976 Ludwig Green Vistalite 12/13/16/22 & 5 1/2x14
1940 Ludwig & Ludwig Universal Concert Snare 6.5x14
2013 C&C Aged WMP 13/16/22

beaubruns.tumblr.com
cowboyindianbear.com
Posted on 12 years ago

I don't suppose you still have that 20" mahogany floor with the plies all jacked up available? I may have some stuff to trade, and I know just the thing for that shell...

I live in New Jersey, so there'd certainly need to be some hefty packing done, but I'm in the market for cheap-o shells for sure. Stripped mahogany is not a problem, I've seen miracle work done on those.

Nate Sankary

Posted on 12 years ago

Take a razor blade and "pick" the slivers off? Is it slivers or do you have the entire outer ply sticking to the wrap? I would think this has happened to someone before and they will eventually chime in. Maybe lay a wet towel over the wrap for a few hours and see if the wood will lift off. Water can sure damage wood but will not harm the wrap, I think. Just dont get in a hurry, something will work.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here