Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Help with Vintage Ludwig Bass drum and other goodies

Hello all. I just acquired a 28" Ludwig bass drum with a Duco (I think) finish. It has the original calf skin heads on it and the original gold sparkle inlay on the hoops. The lugs and such are rusty, but I'll try my best to clean them up abit. My question is .... was this a marching drum or was it part of a set? When I got it, the person gave me a Ludwig New Speed pedal and a wood block that goes on the hoop as well as a Ludwig Cymbal and arm which was mounted on the outer hoop. The thing that's got me is the one eye hook in the middle which is definately original making me think that this was a marching drum then converted to a set but I don't know much about vintage Ludwigs. When abouts was this made? (I'll include a pic of the badge) How much is something like this worth? ( I really don't intend on selling it) It's a cool drum and the things that came with it are cool as well. I also have these very weird tuners????? I'll try to get a pic of them as well for you all. I have 2 of them and ech one has a different sized square on either end with a wooden handle. The only markings are Germany on the brass parts. Thanks all!! Cool Dude

Posted on 16 years ago

#1.Probably a marching or orchestral application

#2.Early 1920's

#3.Probably $150-200 on a good day

Sumo Dude

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

That would have been commonly used as a trap set (drum set) bass in the 1920s or '30s. The lower and mid level drums were single tension like yours. A lot of top of the line sets in those days (bass drum, snare drum and some "traps ie cymbal, cowbell, woodblock, etc.

The date may be stamped on the inside of the drum...if there's a 4 digit number, you can figure the date from that...probably year and month ie 2904 is april 1929.

The value for these bass drums isn't that much as stated above...the snare that would have come with it would be a nice find.

Here's what a 1920s, '30s drum set would look like, decked out...

http://www.ludwigdrummer.com/Other%20Peoples%20Drums/rich%20kalinsky/from%20the%20collection%20of%20rich%20kalinsky.htm

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the info!! I haven't taken the heads off yet to see if there is a date stamped inside, but I'll let you know when I do. As far as the tuning keys I thought I had, I'm thinking they might actually be old clock winders. That's the only thing I can think of for needing 4 different sized squares and the Germany on the brass parts. (athough they would definately work as a tuning tool!!) The guy I got it from had a drum which had a top head much like a hand drum also in the same finish, but it JUST sold when I got there. I'm thinking this was definately a "trap" set and I'm sure I missed out on the snare as well ...... unless the guy still has it somewhere ..... I think I'll make another trip!!! What is up with the Ludwig New Speed Pedal? It's all intact including the wool beater. I love the looks of the thing. Does that also date to the 20's-30's era? I'm having no luck in finding info on the pedal. I know there are some Luddy guys and gals here .... someone has to know. :) I'm officially addicted to vintage drums AND this forum!! I need more vintage drums NOW!!!!

Posted on 16 years ago

hey-i've also got a new speed pedal in my small but enjoyable pedal collection. my memory tells me that the pedal was introduced in 1952. i just checked my ludwig catalogs and see no mention of that though. i still think that its 1952. i saw an ad once. i wish mine had the wool beater. mines got the standard felt beater. youre right, its a sweet pedal and ive never seen another.

Posted on 16 years ago

OK ...... I've opened the drum .... Which stamp do I go by? There are two in here!! Look for yourself ..... (sigh) nothing's ever simple with me or my drums ..... LOL

Posted on 16 years ago

That's very strange. According to the badge identification section of this website, http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/ludwig_badges.html that badge style indicates an early 1920's drum. However, the date stamps indicate the drum was made a decade later than the badge style indicates...and the two different dates is also strange. I really don't know what to guess about that drum -other than it may have started out life in the early 20's, but didn't sell for a decade or so and was ultimately re-stamped in the 30's when it may have been matched up with some other drums to form a trap set -as Rich K mentioned was common with those bass drums during that time frame.

-just a guess, though!Chewie:

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

It seems that badge was used into the early '30s...my guess is that the shell was made in 1934 and finished in '35. I've seen many Ludwig and Ludwigs (and Leedys which were made at the same factory) of that era with two date stamps.

Posted on 16 years ago

I knew you guys would have some insight on this thing. I appreciate all of the info you all have provided!! Yes Sir The drum, cymbal, pedal and rosewood wood block are now undergoing a really good cleaning. I think I'll leave it alone and not have things restored as I really like the old look on drums like this. The inner shell is in great shape and the rings and edges are beautiful as well. I'm going to build a room for my small collection of vintage drums having 3 walls of plexiglass. The drums I will not use will be in here. I'm planning on putting in a humidity controller. Any suggestions? 60% humidity? It will be temperature controlled at 65 degrees.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here