Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Help With Vintage Heads -- Please.

Looking for some expert ("as usual") advice regarding two separate projects I'm currently working. Both involve vintage calfskin heads. Before getting into each, let me state that both affected drums addressed below will be used primarily as vintage display and/or collectible pieces, not "players".

Project #1: I recently purchased an all original WMP Ludwig & Ludwig (Elkhart, Indiana) kit, which included a 24 inch bass drum, 13 inch tom, and 14 inch snare drum. A matching Leedy floor tom also came with the kit. The bass, tom & snare drums all came with the original "Ludwig Whitecalf" heads in excellent condition. However, the rack tom's got a tacked bottom head, which is ripped. The prior owner was kind enough to provide me with a piece of calfskin sufficient enough to replace the ripped head. All tacks are in place on the shell and I'm trying to find an individual or company that would do this work without it costing me an arm and a leg. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Project #2: I picked up a 6 1/2 x 14 Wooden Leedy Reliance snare drum from the 1930s recently that came with what appear to be its original calfskin heads. The batter side head is extremely dirty and I can't make out any markings. However, the snare side head, which I need to replace since its significantly torn, has an AMRAWCO (American Rawhide Company) stamp on it. The wooden hoop that the head was wrapped around is in excellent shape. Since I only plan on keeping this drum as a "collectible" would it make more sense simply to replace the original calfskin head with a modern head and call it a day? OR.......is there somewhere I could send the hoop and have a "wonderful person" mount a calfskin on it at a price that I just couldn't refuse?

As usual, thanks for your time and your help!:)

Posted on 15 years ago

This is for project #2.

http://www.earthtoneheads.com/

They were out of stock on some items the last time I spoke with them.

Cya,

Mike

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here