Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Help With This Choice, P-l-e-a-s-e!

There's a slim chance that I might have the opportunity to pick up an additional vintage snare drum to add to my meager collection sometime this week-end. My choice will more than likely come down to a pre-serial Ludwig SBP Downbeat or an Oaklawn-badged, tuxedo-lugged BDP Camco. There are a few others I'm looking at, but my main interest is in in these two since I don't currently have either model in my collection. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to grab them both.

Assuming that both are in very good to excellent condition, both functionally and cosmetically, would one be a better choice to add to my collection than than the other? It looks like the Downbeat might run me about $50 more than the Camco at this point.

Also, any input as to the current "market price" value for each of these models would be GREATLY appreciated.

As usual, THANKS in advance for your help!Bowing

Posted on 15 years ago

Well, in my experience, the Downbeat snare is not the best snare drum to play. To collect, they are great....and, to be fair, some people probably love them. But, because of the shallow depth, the response is very "stiff". The sound is "crisp" and very snare-y.

That being said, they ARE very cool-looking drums and always get noticed for their unique shape.

I can't comment on the Camco -don't know anything about them!

As far as valuation of the Downbeat..... I have seen them go for anywhere in the range of $300-$600 -for really nice ones!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

O-LUGS: Always good to hear from you. I certainly appreciate your input!

Posted on 15 years ago

If the Camco is the one on Seattle CL, that looks like a fair deal. I almost went for it myself. (I have a Camco kit.)

Posted on 15 years ago

In general, the downbeat is worth more. Camco snares with Tux lugs sell for between $350 and $500, whereas Downbeats sell for between $500 and $900. However, as O-Lugs pointed out, Downbeats are not great players. Those Camcos, on the other hand, are incredible. I consider a Camco wood snare with Tuxedo lugs, with the sharp bearing edges, to be up there with Rogers wood Powertones as the best wood snares ever made.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here