Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Help with ply and shell repair on Slingerland Ace?

The Ace arrived -- wow. What a heartbreaker. SO beautiful -- did just a bit of playing...talk about vintage wood!

Anyway, as indicated in the original post, it does have some things that may need addressing. The seller did an excellent job in disclosing these, by the way, so kudos to him.

One is the elongated bubbles in the inner play. There was some tips re: diluted glue, syringe, clamps, etc....

So writing for more detailed advice. Type of glue, dilute with what...etc. All the regular I've-never-worked-on-a-vintage-snare newbie questions.

The other is the very very slight lifting at the top of the seam.

Attached some photos. I circled a crack that may need to be looked at, if possible - and drawn a line under what I thought was a crack, but is not; it's a finish edge.

So.... is there a doctor in the house??

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0005.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0004.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/Slingerland%20Hollywood%20Ace/th_IMG_0001.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago

Tite Bond 2, diluted with a few drops of water, not really needed depending how fine a syringe you use. It should flow.

C Clamp the lifted areas, wax paper (on the wrap side and glued side) and wood strips/blocks, clamp but don't over tighten, wipe away excess glue with damp rag, let dry overnight. Sand inside with 120/160, tung oil or shellac (preferred) interior.

Posted on 12 years ago

Excellent - thank you --

another post mentioned using an X-acto knife to put in small slits to allow for the compression. Sounds right?

I'm wondering if I should try to come up with a wood block (or something) with the same radius, to put over the repair while it's clamped....then again, the area isn't that big, so may be unnecessary?

Then strip off the hardware, sand entire shell, use shellac.

Yes?

Use the same glue etc for the slight lift on the wrap?

Thanks again for your help - it is invaluable!

Posted on 12 years ago

Yes to the curved wood blocks, yes to the Xacto knife.

For the wrap you'll need contact cement, wood glue won't hold.

shellac just on the inside of the shell.Tip: bearing edges, lightly sand (200/300 paper) and with an old white wax candle run it along the edge a few times, will help with seating, tuning heads

Posted on 12 years ago

Again -- thank you --

the curved wood blocks are going to be a challenge, though. I MAY be able to pull it off with a jigsaw, and I guess that's about the only way to do it. Unless there's a plan B?

Tip about the contact cement, and the candle much appreciated. This is a really beautiful vintage snare, and I want to treat it right.

Posted on 12 years ago

For curved wood blocks.................trace (with pencil onto the wood block your using) the inside and outside of the shells contour curve the length you need to repair. Cut with jig or band saw and there you go. Easy. See my resto thread for block pic. You'll get the idea.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I did a search for the thread and came up with way too many contributions.

I know I'm moving into PITA territory... can you provide a link...or something?

Appreciate all the help so far. After restoring a bunch of SPeed Kings, I'm really looking forward to this project!

Posted on 12 years ago

I'm sorry...it's on the first page in this section a few threads down from this one. Look for "60's Slingerland light blue pearl resto" thread. Glenn.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

From bfulton

Excellent - thank you --another post mentioned using an X-acto knife to put in small slits to allow for the compression. Sounds right?I'm wondering if I should try to come up with a wood block (or something) with the same radius, to put over the repair while it's clamped....[COLOR="Red"]then again, the area isn't that big, so may be unnecessary? [/COLOR]Then strip off the hardware, sand entire shell, use shellac.Yes?Use the same glue etc for the slight lift on the wrap?Thanks again for your help - it is invaluable!

If it's not very big, I wouldn't bother with it.

The repair may wind up looking/being more intrusive than the benefit (negligible) to be gained.

I have several snares with slight bubbling of the interior ply and they all sound great.

I have my "Klingon Interior Ply Inspector" paid off to turn a blind eye.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Well, I have to say, that's an appealing idea. I seem to have a lot of projects going on right now, and if I were to undertake this it should be your basic labor of love. Take plenty of time, do it right, and most of all: enjoy the process.

It may be the right time to finish off the other 8 or 9 projects, clear out the basement, and come back to it later....

Meanwhile, slap on new heads (I'm thinking Aquarian Modern Vintage) and enjoy it.

Which is not to say I don't appreciate the repair tips--Tite Bond 2 Wood glue and contact cement are on the shopping list .....

and I'm saving the link for this thread for when the time is right!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here