Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Help with P85 type strainer

I am fixing up a Pearl snare drum for a friend. The problem is the strainer (a P85 type, I think the model is SR-014) is missing the part that connects the arm to the snare mechanism. It seems like a part that would be easily replaceable, but I searched Google and this site and didn't come up with anything.

Is a part available? can it be fixed with a screw or something available at a hardware store? or will the strainer have to be replaced altogether? (really hoping that isn't the case!) Please see the pics. Any ideas?

Posted on 14 years ago

If it was me I would go to the hardware store and be looking for a short fitting with just a flat flange that's connected with a C clip instead of a nut. Does that help?

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Vintage-PEARL-Snare-Drum-Throwoff-No-Res-9_W0QQitemZ390107038792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad4310448

Here is one on ebay.. maybe you can get the seller to flip it over and send you a picture.

If you are not an ebay shopper and want the part... let me know and we can work out a transaction to get it purchased for you.

NOTE: I have no idea if that is a good price or not for that part.

Not to much help... but maybe a little.

DUH.. thanks Gonedrumming... there is a great shot right there..

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

Good find Jim...scroll down the auction and the back pic is there....

That's the "flange" thing I'm talking about, I bet the other side is connected with a C clip.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for your fast replies! Jim, I did see that strainer on ebay last night, unfortunately, I dont think $45 is a very good price. It isn't vintage, it's just used. New Ludwig P85s sell for about $20, the generic ones are sold for $15. I can get a whole used snare drum off CL for $45.

GoneD, is the pic below kind of like what you're talking about? Would I be able to find these parts at Home Depot?

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeppers something like that....HD should have something in their plastic drawers, I saw C clips there the other day so I would think they have the connecting part too. If not HD, a nice ACE or independent hardware store might.

PS: You may need a small thin brass washer to make it work on the C side.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks very much! I'll hit up the hardware store tomorrow and see what I come up with.

I think this must be a somewhat common problem. The reviews I read on Musiciansfriend of the Ludwig P85 were all pretty much negative, saying that the strainer was poor quality, didn't work well and broke down a lot. I'm wondering if more people are having issues with this design.

Posted on 14 years ago

Got my strainer fixed up! In case anyone else has this problem with their P-85 type strainer, I thought I'd post what I did to fix it.

I used a #6-32 machine screw with a flat head that angled in toward the threading, like the one in the pic below. I couldn't find a C or E clip that would work for the screw so I tried a 3/16" hitch pin clip that I found at Home Depot. I put a small 'fiber' washer on before attaching the hitch pin clip. This set up seems to work pretty well. I was afraid the strainer arm was going to be too loose to make the strainer useable, but once I tightened up the snare wires it seemed to be stable and worked fine.

Thanks for putting me on the right track, GoneDrumming. Maybe you've had to do this type of repair before?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here