Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Help with dating a Rogers snare.........

Hi everyone, I guess for my second post here I will ask for some help. I have a Rogers Tower snare drum I purchased awhile back and finally have this next on my retoration/fix "to do" list.

I knew when I purchased it that the wrong lugs were on it. So in order to find the correct parts I need to know which lugs were on it originally. I think that it came with B&B lugs since all of them were replaced. The label in side the drum has No. 859 and says Cleveland in the lower right corner.

The Rogers logo on the outside is in script. The throw off and but plate are also a stamping. These look much different than those I have found in my research. I believe these are original to the drum as there are no other holes drilled in these areas. The drum is finished in a natural mahogany finish probably cleared in laquer and in great condition.

Due to the holes drilled for the different lugs, these look like slingerland, I'm not trying to make this a collectors item. I do want it to be a "player" snare for my collection.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

Tiki...

Posted on 18 years ago

Tiki...

A pic or two would be of GREAT BENEFIT here... but I will get you going in the right direction based on what you have described:

The serial on your Tower paper tag is pretty low, which would suggest that your drum is probably an earlier model. The Tower snare drum came out in 1962 and originally had the B&B ( bread and butter ) lugs on it. It sounds like you have the "Universal Throw-off" strainer based on your description... PLUS... you have stated that the outside of the shell is finished in Mahogany/Lacquer. This is also indicative of the earlier Tower models. So, what does this all mean?

It sounds to me like you have a 1962 or 1963 Tower model snare drum, because, in 1964 Rogers updated the Tower to include the NEW Beavertail lugs, and the Sta-Tite strainer/throw. Mahogany was still offered as a finish choice, but Pearl wraps were becoming prominent.

Needless to say, a pic or two would show me instantly exactly what you have. You could certainly have a 1964 or later Tower too, which would be a lot easier to get lugs for, and cheaper. By the way, I have a 1965 Tower snare drum in WMP and it plays/sounds great. As a matter of fact, there is very little if any difference between the Tower snare drum and the upper end Powertone! Shells and hardware, save the strainer, are the same!

Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

TommyP, thank you for the information. I felt that because of the low number on the tag that it is probably an early model. I will post some pictures soon. Glad to hear that your Tower snare sounds good. Gives me some hope that I will have a good addition to my collection of drums.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Have a good one!

Tiki.........

Posted on 18 years ago

Here a a few pictures to checkout.

Thanks, Tiki

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Tiki...

What's the old adage? A picture is worth a thousand words? In this case, a picture is worth a MILLION words! Okay, here's what's what:

The strainer/throw on your Tower is indeed the "Universal" as I had thought... the butt is also correct. This coupled with the LOW serial number on your tag PLUS the Mahogany exterior finish dates this drum to approx.a one year window... My thought is 1962 to 1963. In 1964, Rogers changed the lugs to the NON crack prone Beavertails, and the Sta-Tite strainer.

The lugs currently installed on your Tower are indeed, Slingerland... The original Rogers Drawn Brass lugs, also referred to as Bread & Butter lugs, were very soft brass and incredibly crack prone... actually, prone is the wrong word... thay ALL eventually cracked under use. The NEW Beavertail lugs didn't share the same bolt pattern as the B&B's, thus they couldn't be upgraded/changed out. It would appear that the Slingerland Sound King lugs DO FIT!, as I'm not seeing any evidence of "hole buggering" around the screw heads/washers. :-)

This is a nice drum, and one of the earliest I have seen given the serial number and the Universal strainer. It also appears to be in excellent condition. There is a way to return this to it's CORRECT status, and enable it to also be a player without fear of lug cracking... but it would be a "tad" costly... around $175.00 actually. That would be entirely up to you! If you are at all interested in that, send me an email, and I will give you the details. Otherwise, play it and enjoy it as it is!

Very nice drum otherwise Tiki!

Tommyp

Hi again Tiki... Actually after a detailed CLOSE look at the screws/washers, there DOES appear to be a bit of "hole buggering" in the mounting of the Slingerland Sound King lugs. You would have to take the drum all apart to really see what's up with the shell. I still think it could possibly be saved and returned to it's original Rogers design/status.

Posted on 18 years ago

Tiki...

I sent you a PM... Check your mail box on the Vintage Drum Guide Forum.

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

[Attachment: 554]Here is that picture.

Thanks.........

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

okay, dating on the internet has totally gotten out of hand! It is a beautiful drum , however.

Posted on 18 years ago

Ya know, as soon as I posted that message I was thinking that someone would look at that and make a comment!

I'm gonna hafta watch what I post here.Funny Post

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here