Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Help with buying 60's ludwig

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the vintage drum scene and need some help.

I am infatuated with 60's ludwigs and want to pick up a bass drum off ebay.

I notice, however, that there are only a couple of variations with the 60's drums: As far as I can see with the bass drums there is a Ludwig Hollywood set where the tom mount penetrates the shell, where another variation (don't know the name) has its tom mount screwed onto the shell.

Basically my questions are: Is there a difference in quality among these variations? Is there a specific 60's model that is superior/inferior, or would any 60's model ludwig bass drum be a winner?

I am very anxious to place some bids, but would appreciate some insight from someone more enlightened with these drums than me. Any thoughts??

Posted on 14 years ago

The one that screws on is called a railmount or rail consolette.

Most of the 60's kits had either a single tom or a double tom configuration. The railmount was used on drum sets with the single mounted tom on the bass drum, most of the time. The "Hollywood" drum set was configured with two mounted toms -thus the different hardware.

As far as "quality"...both styles were of equal quality, in my opinion. It really depends on how you play -your technique. If you slam the drums like Keith Moon used to do, then you will run into some problems. If you play "nicey-nice" with great technique like, say, Joe Morello, then you may never have a problem.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you for your time and help. I'd also like your to hear your thoughts on choosing a diameter.

I currently have a 22/18" starclassic maple kick which is great to kick the crap out of, but I have a deep passion for funk music and feel that it can be overindulging at times for my style.

I know that a 1960's 20" luddie kick would have that mid ranged, old school thump that I'm trying to achieve, but would another 2 inches on a 22" drum have much of an impact on that sound? The reason I ask is because: 1) I have never heard a 22" 1960's ludwig, and 2) I don't want to pass up a great deal on ebay just because the drum is a 22" and not a 20".

Just a note: I'm really going for that Zigaboo Modeliste from the Meters sound.

Thanks again for your insight.

Posted on 14 years ago

If you are a 22 player then I would suggest you pick up a 22 bass. If you switch from a deep modern 22 to a vintage 20 with a rail, you may find youself a bit uncomfortable. I did. I currently have a 20 with a rail mount that is on the way out. It will be replaced by a 22. I have never been comfortable with drums lower like that. A 20 with a post or a taller single mount system allows for a higher Tom elevation. Something to consider.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here