Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Help with a 22 Big Block?

Hey all -- I've been away from the forum for a few years. And I'm getting ready to sell some cymbals. This one is a 22 Zildjian "Big Block." On the heavy side at 2907 ... which makes it very clear (to my ears).

Obvious keyhole, and a small crack.

The keyhole won't be a problem with modern stands. And the crack looks like it hasn't moved a mm for ... 60 years?

But since I've been away, I have no idea what a fair market value would be. I just don't know.

Any ideas welcome!

4 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Welcome back!

I used to sell a lot of cymbals,especially from this era and even more specifically the 22 Block stamps or Hollow Blocks. Unfortunately, the large keyhole and the crack issues are gonna drive the price down. I like these cymbals in a beefy weight, but this one is on the heavy side. Prices on these particular cymbals have also come down in the last few years. I sold many super nice 22HBs in the 350 range years ago. Now you can get all that you want for 250 or less, with no issues. Hope this helps some.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yes Welcome back Bill

I can echo what Mike says about $250 as an expected price for cymbals without serious flaws, although there is lots of variation from one cymbal to another and one day to another. There isn't good evidence of any systematic price change in the 4 years I've been monitoring. Just evidence that prices vary a lot.

Based on my price tracking data given the combination of heavy weight (yours is heavier than 9 out of 10 of these) and serious keyhole plus edge crack, the expected price range is $75-$125. I've got 66 sales of fair to excellent condition 22" Hollow Blocks recorded since 2014 so there is a more complete picture than given in the link in my signature. The $75 to $125 is based on 12 sales of cymbals with similar flaws to yours.

It seem like the best thing you can do to get a higher price is make a good sound file. You can't do much about cracks and keyhole and weight, but you can give people a good idea of the sound.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Posted on 7 years ago

Steve and Mike -- thanks for the welcome!

And the info -- it's a little disappointing, but I needed the facts (just the facts, ma'am).

I have no idea what I paid for this -- I bought some ebay "orphans" with flaws because the prices were low. And this one I bought because of the weight -- after playing light cymbals, I was curious.

I'll list it for a hundred bucks. Maybe there's another curious guy out there!

Thanks!

Mr. Bill

Posted on 7 years ago

From bfulton

Steve and Mike -- thanks for the welcome! And the info -- it's a little disappointing, but I needed the facts (just the facts, ma'am). I have no idea what I paid for this -- I bought some ebay "orphans" with flaws because the prices were low. And this one I bought because of the weight -- after playing light cymbals, I was curious.I'll list it for a hundred bucks. Maybe there's another curious guy out there!Thanks!Mr. Bill

There's a curious guy here but that would be $100 plus $130 for shipping plus tax to bring it into New Zealand. Takes all the fun out of being curious. :(

Posted on 7 years ago

Awww..... [FONT="Trebuchet MS"] No fun at all.

I wonder. Would it be more reasonable to buy a ONE WAY ticket to NZ?? I could deliver it personally!

I have another orphan 16" that has a distinct Beatles sound. I'll put stuff together for some assistance. Including sound file.

Thanks all! [/FONT]

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here