Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Help with 52/52 Leedy and Ludwig

Hi all,

I?m in the process of restoring my old Leedy and Ludwig I bought during high school at a yard sale! It was an extremely lucky find, and was only $200. It?s a 1952, or 1953, I?m trying to find the exact year. It was purchased by the original owner in February 1953, he signed it on the inside of the bass shell. While I was away at college, my parents put them in the attic (against my wishes!). Now that I have room in my own home I?m trying to restore them to their original condition, minus the drum heads. I?ve bought new heads and I?m in the process of cleaning up the hardware. Is there anything I can use to remove the tarnish without damaging the finish of the hardware? Also I can?t find all of the bottom lugs from my tom and floor tom, does anyone know where I could purchase them?

Thanks,

Todd

Posted on 18 years ago

The Leedy/Ludwig badge was used for a short time to say the exact

year might not be that informative since you already probably have the date. Detailed pictures might help and I can look at the catalogs I have for Leedy/Ludwig.

The restoration process is fun and I would start with this article about it.

Click Here

Other then that the best place for the lugs is probably Ebay. IF you can get me pictures by Friday I can check at the Chicago Vintage Drum Show this weekend. I have a small parts list for others.

Take before and after pictures!!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the quick response and for the cleaning information! I won't be able to get pictures to you by Friday, I'm in Seattle Interviewing for a job, but I really appreciate the offer to look. I still haven't given up on the attic at my parents, its time to bring down every box and search for the hardware. I really don't think that my parents would have thrown my hardware. I'm missing the bottom rim and tension rods on the floor tom, as well as the bottom rim, tension rods, and Lugs for my tom. I'm definately planning on taking before an after prictures. Once I get home and hopefully find the pieces, then I'm going to spend a weekend restoring my set.

Todd

Posted on 18 years ago

Sorry for the incredibly late reply, I've been very busy. I've been looking for lugs and tension rods online, but I can't seem to find anything for a kit as old as '52, do you know anywhere I can look specifically?

Posted on 18 years ago

Are your lugs nickle or chrome? I have these lugs and possibly the tension rods also.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here