Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Help with 1959-61 Singerland WMP Bass Drum

Hi guys - I apologize- this post is long, but I am pretty excited and could really use your expertise! When I was 15, my best friend gave me a bass drum that belonged to his grandfather. At the time, I payed no attention to what it was (typical teenager) and threw it on my kit as an extra kick for fun. It has sat in a closet at my parents house for 15 years. Anyway, I flew home this past week and dug it out of storage.

I am no expert, but based on the badge, I think I've got a Slingerland 20'' bass drum made sometime between 1959 and 1961. I am throwing around the idea of restoring this kick as best I can (my first real restoration project!) but wanted to get your thoughts on what might and might not be do-able.

As you will see from the pics below the drum is not in great shape: there are 4 extra holes on either side of the drum. My guess is that one pair (to the far right of the rail consolette) originally contained the cymbal mount. No clue what the other pair of holes are from. The original bass drum legs have been removed (the holes have been plugged sloppily by someone) and replaced with Rogers legs. The wrap is not cracked, looks to be in ok shape, and has mellowed nicely. Hardware also appears in good shape, but is in need of a cleaning. Oh and there is one mount of some-kind (not sure if its original or not) to the right of the rail consolette (does anyone have any clue what this is for? )

I was thinking I could go two ways with the restoration: 1) Just clean and polish the hardware and wrap as best I can and leave the existing holes unplugged or 2) plug all holes, re-wrap in new WMP, and try to find a cymbal mount and possibly the original slingerland drum legs? Could you make any suggestions on what you think is actually possible, based on the description above and the pics below? Thanks for your time and expertise - I really enjoy learning from you guys!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Those brackets on top are the remnant legs of a second consolette rail, the hot-dog style ones.

Either alternative is a good one. Usually when I leave existing holes I will stick an eye-bolt in there just to close the hole...doesn't look too bad, really, as long as there aren't tons of 'em. Then sometimes I will try to utilize one hole for a cymbal L-arm mount or something, if it's in an appropriate location.

Now, if all it was was those 4 holes near the top, I would say definitely just plug 'em with eyebolts.

BUT, since the shell also has the added chestnut of the Rogers legs...eh...it becomes more of a tossup. (Am kinda wondering what was up with that decision ? Old Rogers Swivo legs are no more stable than the old Slingy ones were.....(?)

You can get a pair of vintage Slingy Spurs on eFlay...just be prepared, they may be expensive.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

If the hole spacing of the pair of holes on each side is 3 and 1/2 inches, then it may be that they are for two model 593 or 590 cymbal arm mounts. My '58 Slingy has a two cymbal mount configuration, probably the left one was added aftermarket.

Here's some pics of the set-up and the mount. They are out there to be had, probably a good place to start would be the Wanted to Buy section of this forum. That's where I got the one I needed to fill those annoying extra holes I had in my '58 .

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions and info guys - I really appreciate your help.

One of those pairs of holes is definitely from the original cymbal arm mount. I think I'll try to pick up the 593 or 590 cymbal arm mount to fill those holes and then plug the remaining two holes. Jaye, are eye-bolts a specific type of wood plug? Thanks also for identifying the remnant legs of the "hot dog" style tom mount. I've never seen one of those - would that have been added aftermarket?

Thanks again! Cant wait to get started!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

I think what Jaye is refering to as eye bolts are called carrigge bolts. You would want to try and get them in chrome. The rail mount with the two bolts is the correct one on your drum, the two holders are for a later after market rail mount. Not sure if it is Slingerland or not, depends on the width of the bolts. Nice drum, I have the same one only mine is from 62. It has the two bolt rail mount. I love the sound with that mahogany inside.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think too, if it were me, I would try to go back to the Slingy legs. May as well have the original if there's a choice. And the new holes might not be as visible as those currently exposed. And, if you're going to be plugging the cymbal mount holes, may as well plug the non-original leg mount holes as opposed to the original ones.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Kevins - I couldnt agree with you more. I went looking last night for some of the original legs. I found a few pairs for sale on ebay and am going to pick them up. Ill post some more pics once I get the restoration going. So are you thinking I should re-wrap the shell as well, or just plug ? Thanks for your help!

Posted on 14 years ago

Re-wrap for me is the last resort. That's me, I can't speak for others.

I think I would put on two cymbal mounts, carriage bolt the four hot dog holes, repair the Rogers holes and put back on the Slingy legs. Hopefully, there wasn't damage where the original legs go.

Perhaps you would be happy with that outcome, and that's as far as you need to go.

You could plug the extra holes later, if the first option doesn't please you.

And if that doesn't suit you, then re-wrap.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here