Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Help! What 1920s "Mount" is this? China Cymbal?

Hi. I had noticed that I had the exact same mount that was listed on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260532683519&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Though other than a woodblock mount, what else would have mounted to this? I'm looking to use mine, but it seems that I just can't figure out what else mounts to it other than a wood clock. The ebay description reads for a cowbell and china cymbal,.. but I'm not understanding where either would attach??

Anyone have any photos of them in use,.. or own one? Any old cataloge photos, etc.?

Also, there is no maker stamping on my bracket,.. only Pat. Appl. for. and that's it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm thinking it could be some kind of triangle mount -except that it's upside down in that picture on EBay. The "hook" part must be for suspending something on a string. That's my guess.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, see that's what's got me,... on the auction its said to be a china cymbal mount,.. but how the heck would you even mount it..... it couldn't work??

Now I can understand a triangle,.. but yet again....?? where does the triangle go?

I'm going to take photos of mine.

I know that the both the wood block and the "other" thingy swivle out and around, so yo can move them to place them where you want them.

Posted on 14 years ago

Anyone else have any ideas on this mount?

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, if it was flipped over, then the hook part would dangle just below the top hoop of the bass drum and would be suspended from a short string. I can't see how any cymbal could be mounted from that. I have an old kit with a kind of "swan neck" arm that mounts onto the bass drum hoop and allows clearance for a small Chinese cymbal -which hung from a small leather strap hooked onto the swan neck. Many older cymbals were "hung", but that thing is too small as far as I can tell. I would almost bet that it's some kind of apparatus for hanging something.

Posted on 14 years ago

Here is my two cents. I don’t believe you could attach that to a hoop if you fliped it over (unless it was on the bottom of the bass drum) because the long part that is on top in the photo (extending to the right in the first photo) would have to stick through the head. My thought is that the two prongs would stick into a wood block (or two???) and the other bracket may be used for a cowbell. Back then cowbells had a bracket like handle that was made of a flat piece of medal and that handle could have slipped up under that hook at the top and the bell would be supported a little by the rest of the whole bracket (the part that extends to the left in the first photo) using the leverage to keep it in the hook and the bell part then would extend out above the wood block facing back toward the thumbscrew hoop mount. Cymbal and Triangle doesn’t seem right to me.

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago

DOH! You're right. I just noticed that detail, too. Okay...nevermind...:(

Posted on 14 years ago

Boy,... if we could just get someone with a good collection of old Leedy and Ludwig catalogs on here to weigh in on some of these items....

However, I just tried to affix my cowbell as suggested, and, YHATZEE!!!!,.... We have a winner!!!

Yep, that's it exactly!

Very cool little mount,.. this will really be a nice little period '20s mount for me to utilize!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help out fellas! Its really appreciated!

Posted on 14 years ago

....now I'm curious as to if I'd find a photo of one in actual use from the old days??!! Cool1

...or pictured in an old catalog so as to date it for personal reasons??Cool1

Posted on 14 years ago

Good call, 510!!!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here