Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Help to ID Premier 60's Kit

Hi, I know nothing about drums but I'm learning fast because my father asked me to sell all his old equipment. He was a jazz musician from around 1946-7 till a few years ago. Also had a music store in Canada in the 60's-70's. He was primarily a drummer/piano/horn player. I don't have everything on hand, but I do have a number of cymbals and a couple drum sets. One is a patchwork of different drums which will go for a relatively low price but there is a premier set from the 60's I don't know how to value. He described it as a top quality kit that "buddy ritch that fellow ringo and someone named moon were advertising" I then had to explain who keith moon was. It wasn't his play kit, he bought it from a widow of a collector years ago and he thinks it was a '64 model. I think it's in great condition but have yet to properly unpack it.

Anyway, here is a picture of a couple smaller drums(bongo?) I had showing the logo and pattern. They didn't belong to the set originally but he happened to have them in the exact same pattern probably old store stock.

If anyone knows what I have here I'd appreciate the knowledge.

I'll be spending a couple days researching everything...like how to put it together for a proper picture!! band2

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Here is a nice photo (1968 Catalog) and info about your bongos!

When you post a photo of the kit, then we can help better

David

1 attachments
94.9 kB
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Also, if you are selling any other instruments besides drums (gasp !), mention those as well.

If it IS a '64 in cherry shape, wow...that would be a nice one....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I have yet to take a full photo but I did research the cymbals and such.

I don't know what goes with which kit, although the noname hihats would go with the mixed one. One of the pair is marked Japan, and that fits with the Raven and Yamaha theme going...

I just remembered that he did visit Japan in the 60's to setup distribution for something I'll have to double check about that.

As far as I know all 60's vintage or so

2 x Avedis Z Hi Hat 12" set

2 x unknown 11.75" hi-hats

2 x Avedis Z Hi-Hat 15" set

1 x K Zildjian 17" (Turkey)

1 x Avedis Z 20" Ride

1 x Paiste Formula 602 20" Med Ride w/keyhole?

7 mics, the only one that seems "vintage" is an Astatic 333 Harp mic w/clip

Posted on 14 years ago

Also, the second Kit is a Raven(Japan) red pearl finish no idea the age, with a Yamaha snare (silver something). Cheapo stuff I'd imagine decent condition but not great. I have a musician friend coming by this week to help me with the setup and pics. I've got 3 Banjos perhaps one is a banjo/uke , a left handed Vantage electric guitar, and a 1933 Martin centennial edition guitar with some papers. Apparently it was made from 100 year old wood at the time.That should be worth a penny. There is more in storage and at my mothers place, like a Silver plated saxaphone with gold bell from 1914 I used to play, a trombone I think, clarinet, Another guitar a national that needs pickup repair, Bass trombone (like a trumpet trombone mix) vibraphone, oh and a decorative bass drum my father dates between 1918 and 1924. It has a painted scene on it, one of three apparently released by either Ludwig or Leedy or as Ludwig/Leedy he wasn't sure. There is a light hanging in it I recall, white paint that I think is now peeling. He also has a Sonor set there I'll be seeing in a week or two when I visit.

Edit: I recall now that the painted drum had a scene of a lake and trees, maybe a cabin..I think it was night time. I'llget a pic this month. Someone offered him a thousand dollars 5 years ago for it, I don't know if he should have taken it.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ok, my musician friend isn't showing till next week...being a musician and all that is still a maybe. I took what photos I could, apologies for the laughable setup.

First The Raven/Yamaha mixed bag

note the hihat stand is a premier which may be from the other set but since I have two diff premier stands I'm not sure yet.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ok, Premier set. 3 bags, the bass bag is in poor shape, and one hard case for the snare. Original chair, etc... I don't know what cymbals were sold with it yet. I was disappointed to see that the rings that hold the heads onto the bass drum have some chipped paint and tape on them, the rest of the set is in nice condition though, except for the plastic Hihat pedal (assuming it goes with this one and not the metal one) which has wear at the top.

These are the Hihat stand pics, the metal one is missing the bottom nut.

Posted on 14 years ago

more pics.

closeup of badge, leg locks on floor tom, bass drum top

Posted on 14 years ago

closeup of paint damage and tape on retaining ring, seat...etc.

Posted on 14 years ago

and for the fellow wanting the other instruments, here are a few banjos and a clarinet.

First is a tenor banjo from early 1900's or so according to the info on the slip. looks like it may have been autographed over the years on the skin but that's worn off. Beautiful cond.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here