Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Help replacing rare throwoff/strainer on old Sonor snare

Hello forum members. This is my first post, and I'm hoping you can help. I have an old Sonor kit whose snare was knocked over by one of my young'ns. As you can see from the pics, the part that houses the throwoff/strainer broke, and I've not been able to find a replacement. I looked on eBay for one, and I've even checked with Sonor in Germany. No luck. And my local repair guy won't drill into the shell to install a new one (which the folks at Sonor thinks is the only option).

Sooooooo, I'm wondering if anyone here may know where I can get my hands on a replacement OR know of a throwoff/strainer which might fit the existing holes (which are horizontal). I'd rather not drill into the shell unless I absolutely have to.

Pics included of the snare and the damage (sorry for the sideways pictures). I appreciate any assistance/advice you can throw my way!

Help2

Posted on 9 years ago

Those throwoffs are out there. might b a while before one pops up tho....

Posted on 9 years ago

Manny knows Sonor about as good as anyone around here, maybe he'll know someone you can contact for the part.

Yo airborne, where you at?

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Perhaps I'll PM him. Thanks.

Posted on 9 years ago

You have the most important piece, the cap.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 9 years ago

Doc, He got back to me,....http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15960.

Don`t loose that cap,...it`s worth more than the drum now days.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks. What part, exactly, is the "cap"? Initially I assume the cap was the round (plastic) cover or housing (which is indeed the part that broke).

Posted on 9 years ago

The cap is the round cover on the very outside of the throwoff. They are almost always missing.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

Any chance you can repair it? Like glue/epoxy the broken cover? That's if it is indeed plastic. Not the most ideal solution but will keep the drum in playing order till replacement parts can be sourced.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

*Maybe.* The bottom of the cover is in bad shape, and seems pretty essential to a properly working throw/strainer. The whole darn thing came apart today, so now it's a matter of reassembling the mechanism as well as trying to repair the cover.

Since this is my only snare, I think I'd like to find a new throw/strainer that fits the existing holes and just wait for something to pop up on eBay.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here