Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Help Repair Late 70's Ludwig Hi-Hat Tension Stuck

Greetings,

I am the original owner of 1979 Ludwig 5 piece kit including all the original Ludwig hardware. Not bragging or complaining just is what it is. Ha. The kit has a Ludwig hi-hat stand which, I believe is an "Atlas" model with the flat bar legs not the tube shaped legs.

Here is a link to a picture of it from the internet. Hope that helps.

http://www.vintagedrums.com/ludnoshh1.jpg

It has a white plastic (nylon looking) spring tension adjustment wheel just above the foot pedal link at the bottom of the hi-hat stand tube. The word "tighten" and an arrow on the face of the stand just above the pedal indicates the adjustment directions for the hi-hat pedal spring tension.

Right now I am unable to change the tension on my hi-hat. The adjustment wheel feels normal when I turn it either way and stops at both ends of the adjustment (several complete revolutions). However rotating the adjustment wheel does not change the pedal spring tension of the hi-hat any longer. The "tensioner" (I just made that word up I believe) appears to be stuck on a very high spring pedal tension. Bummer.

Any one have any experience with these hi-hat stands? Any suggestions on how to repair/fix it? If I do take it apart and replace some parts any idea what parts might be bad and where to get new parts to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Dan

Posted on 14 years ago

I am too interested in this topic, I have my Ludwig Spur-Lock stand getting stuck occasionally. Great if someone could provide some pics of a disassembled stand and some brief instructions, something similar to what you can find in the Restoring a Speed King pedal thread maybe. Thanks in advance.

Posted on 14 years ago

One of two things have happened here. Either the knob has broken away from its threaded section (its possible since its only a nylon type plastic) or the threads have backed out of the spring receiver inside the stand and will not catch again. Either way, some disassembly may be required to find out what is going on in there.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you. Sounds like you might have hit the nail squarely on the head.

Well, I've had this Ludwig hat stand for thirty years. Can't complain about it's great service or service life.

I have been thinking and maybe this is the time and place to ask. I have been thinking for years of trying the Rogers model hi-hat that Bonham was last using when his days ended.

Anyone happen to know what Rogers model hi-hat Bonham was using at the end. I know he used several models, updating Rogers hat stands as the new Rogers models came on line year after year.

If I could locate one of these models I would probably go ahead and buy it and give a try. If I take my Ludwig stand apart and it won't go back together without a lengthy delay (very possible maybe even likely) I would be in a bad position.

Below is a poor pic of the stand if someone might be able to id it. It has single braced legs. I am not sure which footboard it has on it but I'll guess it the bigger one piece Rogers footboard with the black colored R on it. It has a very substantial sized top tube which appears to be a satin type finish rather than a polished finish. It also has a very substantial lock where the upper and lower tubes meet. It appears to have a red colored round shaped sticker on the tube as well (I believe this is a Rogers sticker but I'm certain.

[IMG]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6872/vimage0275uj.png[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

The trick to repairing the adjustment is removing the two set screws the hold the wheel in place. These are small allen head screws. Once that assembly falls out, you'll see the threaded adjustment riser. It is probably all the way loose, or "screwed out" ... unless you have the plastic, not metal one, and its' cracked or something...

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks.

I have the Ludwig model with the plastic wheel.

Since this post however, I have located, purchased and have been using an awesome Rogers Supreme hi-hat. I now know why Bonham used this model hi-hat stand.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here