Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Help needed with Slingerland kit,what to do

I'll try to keep a long story short. I'm not a drummer (yet) but a guitar player. My daughter has asked for a drum set for sometime now but due to a lack of follow thru on her part with other instruments I just couldn't justify the cost of a new kit for a few weeks of playing. A few weeks ago,just a few days before her birthday, I noticed a bass drum sitting in a box @ a thrift shop near my office. I walked over and found a small Slingerland kit that needed some new heads and cleaning. Thinking that I would replace the heads and have her a great Birthday present without breaking the bank I paid my 40 dollars and took the kit to my office. Later that afternoon I googled Slingerland drums for info on getting new heads and ended up at this great site. I now know that I have a set of vintage drums, not a cheap beginer set. What I ended up with is the Windsor ensemble 6-n from the 1959 Slingerland catalog. I have all the hardware including cymbal stand, hi hat stand, even the original throne. The only part missing is the wood block that went with the cow bell. Here's what I've got: 14 x 22 BD,dated Jan 10,1959; 5.5 x 14 Snare,single ply shell w/clamshell strainer, 8 lugs; 9 x 13 Tom dated Jan 15,1959. The drums are Aqua sparkle, however the bass & tom have faded some and look more like silver sparkle. Cymbals are 14" K Zildjian Istanbul hi hats,each weighing 737g. One still has the paper made in Turkey label;a 16" A Zildjian weighing 992g w/50's type II large stamp and an 18" A Zildjian weighing 1,616g w/50's small stamp. The cymbals look like they have never been played, no issues what so ever. The whole kit is cleaning up nicely with no issues as well. This kit looks like it was played very little and just set aside.

Now for my dilema. Put the kit together and play it or sell it and buy my daughter a newer kit to learn on (if she'll stick with it). One part of me says keep it and the other part says sell it to someone who will make better use of a vintage set of drums.

Old wise ones, advice on what to do and value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow!!! That has to be the deal of the century. You could turn that kit around for a nice buck. Some pics would be very helpful. I think for those cymbals and the snare alone is easy over a grand. And the bass and rack tom with the hardware over 500.00 given the condition that you say it is. Again pictures would really help nail it down. As for a kit for your daughter, its hard for a kid to appreciate something so cool and vintage. You could probably get enough for a cheapo starter kit and a real nice guitar if you were to turn it.

Posted on 14 years ago

Of course... if percussion turns out to be her thing there could come a day when she says "I can't believe you had a vintage Slingerland kit and turned it to buy me some import starter kit!!"

It won't decrease in value...

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

Better than money in the bank.

Definitely, I would keep them, the cymbals alone in pristine condition.......

I keep looking, but haven't found that thrift store yet.... where the heck is it !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Man you sell those it'll be the easy misplayed grounder through your infield of life.

Regards

DonS

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm never good on the pricing thing but digging around completed auctions on ebay sometimes gives a good idea of where the market is... for the drum kit... so that Radio King snare...$250-300..could be more Aqua sparkle is pretty rare I believe... then for the bass and tom together maybe $350.00.

I really have no idea on the cymbals but some old K's are going for around $1000.. plus or minus a couple hundred depending on what you got.

Vintage A's seem to hover around $200.00

Again.. I'm LOUSY on the pricing thing.. others on here can give you a better idea.

easy misplayed grounder through your infield of life.

funny stuff there... and very well put!!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

[QUOTE=Todddilema;47906]I paid my 40 dollarsQUOTE]

You paid $40.00!! Keep the set in a very drum friendly environment until your daughter goes off to college. At that point they could be worth a lot more. I would just buy her a good but affordable set off of Craigslist. Some of the vintage Japanese made drums are very inexpensive but pretty well made.

Here is an example of what I mean.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1491665156.html

Posted on 14 years ago

Todddilema, I sent you an email....

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Jeez, why can't I find these deals?!?

Posted on 14 years ago

Hang onto it... if you are a musician you will appreciate it someday... or wait 'til it's not a "buyers" market and sell it then.

Don't be hasty... and in the meantime... the Gretsch Catalina Club Kits are great for beginners and hip too... she won't be embarrassed to play a cool Marine Pearl Gretsch kit.

http://www.rainbowguitars.com/drums/gretsch/catalina-club-jazz-4pc-shell-pack-in-white-marine-nitron/CCJ484WP/KA

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here