Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Help Needed With Rogers "Project"

Yesterday I picked up a filthy looking 9x13 Rogers tom that had been seriously abused by its prior owner. The drum was displayed with a silver metallic covering resembling either some sort of bizarre wallpaper or perhaps some type of shelving wrap (pic 1). Upon closer inspection, I discovered that under the "paper" was a white flack backing and under that was the original Rogers Sparkling Blue wrap (pic 2). The prior owner also decided to paint the interior shell black INCLUDING the Rogers label (Powertone SN 044897 / Fullerton, CA).

Despite the above horrific cosmetic conditions, the drum appeared to have all its original hardware -- muffler system, lugs, t-rods, swiv-o-matic mount and script badge.

I posted a pic of one of the rims that came with the drum (pic 5), hoping that one of the experts out there can determine whether it's original to the drum.

I purchased this one strictly as a "project". Last evening I removed and started cleaning and polishing all the hardware. I then started the exciting task of removing the hideous paper wrap (pic 3). I've got most of it off but there still are patches remaining as can be seen (pic 4). I thought that a heavy dose of Goo Gone would complete the job, but I was mistaken.

I'd like to know if there are any products or processes out there I should consider using that would remove the remaining paper and adhesive residue WITHOUT causing damage to the original sparkle finish? Also, I was wondering if an extremely fine sandpaper should be considered if all else fails?

As usual, thanks in advance for your time and your input!

Posted on 14 years ago

I've removed adhesive with either WD 40 or PB Blaster.You need to soak the paper thoroughly and let it soak in for a while.It will break down the adhesive.In this instance I'd buy a plastic putty knife to scrape the residue,to minimize scratching the pearl.PB is stronger than WD.I've even used this method to remove stickers from bass drum heads.Works 75 percent of the time.Good luck...

Posted on 14 years ago

Have you tried blotting warm water on the paper? Just trying to saturate the paper itself and not soaking the entire drum. The warm water should soften the glue and penetrate the paper as long as it's not a plastic covering. I'm sure the experts will chime in with better advice. Looks like it'll come out nice once finished though! Good luck.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 14 years ago

teverson-sr: Thanks for the suggestions. A good friend of mine swears by WD-40, although I've never personally tried it on any of my drum projects. I've never heard of "PB Blaster" but I'll look into that product also. Let's just say that the remaining paper and residue are proving quite "challenging".

FFR 428: Thank you also for your input. I dampened the covered areas previously with warm, soapy water, and then followed that up with a heavy application of Goo-Gone. It removed the majority of the paper and adhesive, as you can see in the pics. However, what's still on the drum might need a more "desperate" approach. Nevertheless, I'll try some hotter water this morning to see if it loosens anything up and improves the process.

I was also wondering if wallpaper remover or thinner might do the trick? I've been extremely hesitant in using it at this point for fear of damaging the pearl wrap underneath.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here