Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Help Needed To Identify Vintage Ludwig Kit

Some time ago I purchased a vintage (mid-60s) keystone-badged Ludwig Kit in the company's White Marine Pearl (WMP) finish. The kit was in excellent condition, both functionally and cosmetically, with the original wrap and hardware.

When I purchased the kit I was positive that it was Ludwig's Downbeat Model, based on the 14x20 bass drum, 8x12 rack tom, and 14x14 floor tom. Although a snare drum wasn't included in the sale it wasn't a concern since I already owned a WFL Buddy Rich Be-Bop Model in WMP as well as a pre-serial keystone-badged COB Supraphonic. Both look flat out fantastic with this kit.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: Did Ludwig ever manufacture a Downbeat Kit or any other model in the 60s with the above drum sizes featuring two rail consolettes mounted on the bass drum? OR............. could this have been a "special order"? The kit I've got does have two consolettes and both appear to have been factory-drilled. There's also an L-Arm mount on the bass drum and an original Ludwig L-arm cymbal holder was also included as part of the sale.

As usual, any and all feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS in advance for your help!

Posted on 16 years ago

Short answer: Ludwig didn't offer a double railmount as a standard issue, but I'm sure one could have been ordered. Oftentimes, a music shop would customize a kit to a customer's specs, too. Maybe it was installed for a left-handed player?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I've seen several like that in the NYC area where the original owner had the store add a second mount. It was very common back then for a store to add whatever hardware the customer wanted. Often, stores ordered virgin shells, and the customer could even choose another brand for the mount hardware, which is why we see oddities like a Ludwig bass drum with Rogers swivomatic tom mounts.

Here's a link to a kit I sold that had a second rail mount installed in the store of original purchase. As you can see they did a very professional job...it looks factory:

LINK to Ludwig kit with 2 rail mounts

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

O-Lugs & mlvibes: Why am I not surprised that both of you provided the usual accurate information in a timely manner? I really do appreciate your input!

Bill: The kit that you posted with the two rail consolettes looks almost identical to the one I've got. The only difference that I can see is in the sizes of the drums themselves. Everything else appears the same.

Based on the sizes of mine, would it still be considered a Ludwig Downbeat Kit, despite the fact that it's got two rail consolettes?

THANKS AGAIN!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here