Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Help needed to fill holes in wmp

Hi guys,

I just read a post from 2005 saying that some people will cut sections of wrap underneath lugs or other hardware in order to fill holes in wrap on more visible areas of the drum. Can anyone tell me how this is done (specifically how the wrap is removed) and if the process works well? I am restoring a late 50's Slingerland WMP bass drum and, at the moment, I have filled 17 (!) of 20 (!!) extra holes with dowels and have been debating whether I should just re-wrap the drum, use the method I am asking about, or play as is (with the dowels showing). Other than all the holes, the wrap is in nice shape and I feel bad just discarding it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

One thing I would do BEFORE cutting away pieces of the original wrap, I would first ask about the forum if someone has a piece of WMP that is appropriately aged. After you get it, then use a hole punch to clip out the smaller ones. If you post some pix, we can easier see what the challenges are that you will need help overcoming. And the degree to which your wrap is aged.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Jonnistix. I've attached some pictures below so you can get a sense for what I'm dealing with here. The first picture shows the holes from a set of Rogers swivo legs that were added to the drum by the previous owner (also shows the original condition of the wrap before it was cleaned), the second and third picture show some of the work I did filling the holes, and the final picture shows the wrap after it was cleaned. If you need to see other pictures please let me know.

Thanks!

James

4 attachments
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

WOW! looks like swiss cheese. I have a BDP bass drum someone put some late model spurs on. I think there are 2-4 holes I will need to fill. I want to see how yours turns out and get some ideas. The 1st thing that comes to my mind on yours is this. If you get a piece of wrap under a lug to repair the holes, the piece will not be yellowed like the exposed wrap is now. I agree with John. If you can find a piece of old wrap from a forum member that would be fabulous. Another thing I'm thinking is, the wrap is 50 yrs old and is most likely brittle. It may be difficult to cut these little pieces with out shattering the piece your cutting. If you obtain a piece of wrap, you can experiment with it with out destroying your drums wrap. If you heat the old brittle wrap it will become soft and you may have more success. Another thought, contact drum restoration suppliers and get a sample of thier WMP wrap, See which one matches closest and use the sample for your hole repair pieces.

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 14 years ago

I have the aged wmp wrap. I took it off a snare. It might work. Check out the thread about the luddy pioneer wmp snare that I wrapped in gold sparkle. If the wrap looks like it would work, let me know.

Posted on 14 years ago

Mcjnic PM sent, thanks!.

Poppy I will keep you posted about how this goes. Currently, all of the smaller holes that secured the Rogers bass drum spur mounting plate have been filled except for the two large and oddly shaped holes that held the spur itself on either side of the drum. If I can successfully fill those 2 holes, than the project will be just about complete. I'll post some before/after pics once all is finished, but let me know if you want to see any pics or an update sooner. Thanks again for your help guys!

Posted on 14 years ago

James,How did you get the WMP so CLEAN? Looks like you removed 30 years of fade! Also,any tips on cutting holes in donor wrap larger than 1/4 inch? Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Bobby,

Sorry it took me so long to reply! Honestly, dawn dishwashing soap, a little water, and a sponge can work wonders :). After cleaning the wrap in that way, I used some Novus #1 and then # 2 to polish. I highly recommend the Novus products (especially #2). I couldn't believe how nice the shell looked afterwards. Give it try!

As for cutting holes in donor wrap larger than 1/4 of an inch, well, I bought a few different exacto knives and blades, and used those. As long as the blades are sharp you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Sometimes the wrap separated from the white plastic layer beneath and I had to glue them together (I used Dap contact cement). Other than that you should be good to go. If you have any other questions send me a pm; always happy to help!

James

Posted on 14 years ago

From herbster

I just picked up an early 70s Slingerland WMP. The wrap is brittle and where the seem is it has broken up and a piece is missing about 4-5 inches long by 1-2 inched wide I think. From what I have read here I could try and repair but I think getting a piece from under the hoops or rim would be too small for the repair. Anyone have suggestions or a piece of WMP wrap? if that is the correct way to go. I will try and post a pic shortly. :confused:

Cool project....

You might want to start a new thread.

This one is almost a year old.

Hope you find some wrap to match!

Kev

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here