Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Help Needed (Premier and Ludwig)

Hi all !

I'm interested in buying one of these two drum sets,

one should be an Premier 605 outfit from 1976.

Birch or African Mahagony shells, what do you think ?

Seller said that the sizes are: 20,13,16.

And what about this Ludwig ?

I don't know which wood type is it or from which year the drum is.

Sizes are 22,12,13,16.

Help if you can please c:

Tnx.

pics in the attachment.

4 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I like to comment the Premier only, as I'm no expert on Luddie's.

The Premier is no 606 Outfit, as that set contained two rack toms, two floor toms and two bass drums.

It could be a '202 Outfit' as the sizes are the same.

But I have my doubts that it is still in original condition: in fact I believe this is a re-wrapped/ sprayed finish: the inside of the bass drum hoop looks like glazed with the red colour, and I can't see the tom holding bracket on the bass drum (virgin bass drums - to my best knowledge - were not manufactured at that time). So how is the modification made? Furtheron the rim at the rack tom is in red = +1 for being sprayed.

Also please pay attention to the bass drum spurs: they seem to have different angles = are two different fixings built in?

Conclusion: I wouldn't buy it, as it appears to be modified and no longer genuine.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

Ralf is a keen observer. I would take his advice. What bothers me is the fact that in the second picture, both the tenor an bass drums were simply plopped on broken concrete. Really good for the wrap and rim!

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

The Ludwig looks like a mid level Accent Custom..not sure which... think it's the Custom..not too bad a kit depending on how much their asking...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Berthold Auerbach
Posted on 13 years ago

Sorry...the shells would be mahogany/juniper

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Berthold Auerbach
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, that Premier is really strange one,

virgin bass drum, tom-tom without the tom mount, only rims.

I've seen a 605 outfit in the 1976 catalouge, but i don't know.

From denzodennis

The Ludwig looks like a mid level Accent Custom..not sure which... think it's the Custom..not too bad a kit depending on how much their asking...

Are you sure ? Isn't Accent newer Ludwig line ?

This pictured Lud looks to me older, i thought maybe it's 20 or more years old.

thank you all for the infos, much appriciated ! c:

and yes, both drums are prices about 400-450$ (they are in Serbia).

so its probably best if i skip these two.

Posted on 13 years ago

From lucijan

Yes, that Premier is really strange one,virgin bass drum, tom-tom without the tom mount, only rims.I've seen a 605 outfit in the 1976 catalouge, but i don't know.Are you sure ? Isn't Accent newer Ludwig line ?This pictured Lud looks to me older, i thought maybe it's 20 or more years old.thank you all for the infos, much appriciated ! c:and yes, both drums are prices about 400-450$ (they are in Serbia).so its probably best if i skip these two.

To many things look wrong to on on the Premier set could be a piece together set..The Ludwig is a newer set sometime after 2005...At 400-450.00 i would pass on both sets and wait for something better to come along...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here