Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Help needed: BDP Slingerland Radio King 3pt Strainer

Hi out there,

A few days ago I have purchased a vintage slingerland BDP pearl kit.

Although the matching Radio King is a bit earlier (pre serial gold and black badge) than the set istsself (gold and black badge with serial) aquestion came up concerning if the drums are all the same color ... on the webpage of Dr. Wenk I found a nice article about Slingerlands pearl finishes ...

The 16" Tom is in VG condition (it has slightly darkened, as has the BD that came with the set) while the Snare is in mint condition. If you put them in one picture it is hard to notice, but if you look at a close up shot of the Snare the question came up if this is Snare is actually a black diamond pearl or if it maybe is a blue diamond pearl ...

Maybe someone can help me out on this.

Further, although I know that the whole recovering issue is something you should even think of ... (I already own a 63 Ludwig gold sparkle with matching Jazz Festival) ... is there a supplierer that could provide a Black diamond pearl that really matches the original finish of Slingerland - or is the stuff available in the market all crab ? Does anyone have some experience with this ?

Also I am still looking for a 13" or a 12" black diamond pearl tom ... if possible a 1963

maybe somebody has one ...

Thanx for your help

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Slngerland never offered a finish called blue diamond...they called it light blue pearl, and that was much lighter than your snare drum. (There was an earlier version of black diamond that had a blue-ish ting, but that was earlier on.)

Slingerland's black diamond pearl drums varied from year to year, so it's hard to match them up. I had a 12 and 13" tom from one early '70s set...they came together and didn't match. None of the suppliers that sell wrap have anything that will even come close, so I'd just keep an eye out for a 12 or 13" inch tom...shouldn't be that hard to find. That's a nice set...I think Slingerland's BDP was the nicest of the '60s versions of that finish.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Rich,

thanx for the help.

Yes it is in deed a very nice kit and I am really proud of it.

Yeah you right - they called it light blue pearl - I forgot that.

Now one thing that I was thinking of - what actually causes the darkening of the wrap? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this or even maybe something to restore it to where it was when the drums where new?

(I know this sounds like a beginners question - actually everything tells me that the answer is no - but maybe somebody has a trick that I don't know of ...)

Thanx

Posted on 17 years ago

THe darkening comes with age...I've read scientific reasons for it...there's nothing you can do to "lighten" them. Novus #2 will shine them up nicely.

Posted on 17 years ago

Timo, I am happy that you are proud of the set. The BD and FT had Sept. 63 stamps and both had become darker. I think the Radio King had always been in a case. The darkening maybe caused by UV sun damage from not being cased. Just a guess. I agree with Rich that the 60's BDP was a very nice finish. Bill

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Timo:

Great information from Rich... my two-cent addition if I may be allowed some editorial comment would be simply that 1960's Slingerland BDP is a unique treasure of a finish - just use some Novus #2 as Rich says.

Your solid maple Radio King is from 1962 - solid maple Radio King models from the 1960s are relatively rare in any finish, and yours looks to be an absolute gem.

You have some valuable drums. Congratulations!

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here