Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Help! Need help identifying old drums (Made by Pearl)

Hello,

I found these older set of drums and I was wondering if they are any good. They have PAN and Made by Pearl on them. I don't know much about drums, found them cleaning out my grandmother's house. I was wondering if they are worth resorting or keeping, or are they just a cheap set? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on 8 years ago

Here is another thread all about these drums.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=26014

With regards to your question I would say they are absolutely worth keeping and restoring. What you have is a rare MIJ kit, that used Pearl's fiberglass shells, as well as the Pearl hardware. You don't see many of those.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Welcome to the forum!

You have made an incredible find... please take your time restoring them, ask a lot of questions, and PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD take a crap load of pictures!!!

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Posted on 8 years ago

Holy Cow that is a helluva find!...and you pretty much found it under your nose! Do you know the history (whose was it)?

I've been an MIJ enthusiast for about 8 years and, while I know that Pearl used some different shell materials way back some 40 years ago, I have NEVER seen this badge (PAN).

Also, I will be the first to scream......NO STEEL WOOL! Ask for alternatives.....many of them that do not require elbow grease like so many dread.

Take your time and do it right!////that kit certainly is worthy!! I hope you keep it, though if you sell it, it will earn a good dollar amount.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

Oh man, those skins are rare. If your a player, I would clean these babies up and bang away. Great kit!

Looking for a late 80's to early 90's, preferably Arctic White Pearl MLX 14x14 floor tom.
Posted on 8 years ago

Great find! Cool looking kit, worth every minute to bring it back to a new live:-)

regards

Christian

Posted on 8 years ago

Those are terrific shells, just killer tone at any tuning. They are basically rebadged Pearl Presidents with the phenolic resin and plastic fiber shells. Is it 20/13/16?

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here