Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Help me ID this Radio King

I want to see if anyone can help me with this drum.

It is a 1930s (or 40s or 50s) Slingerland 7.5 x 14 Radio King.

There are no extra holes.

The badge is a cloud badge, so if this is the original badge the drum is probably from 1928-41.

ISSUES:

A - THROW-OFF:

It looks to be 1-ply with a clam-shell strainer. The throw-off lever is a strip of brass, but all the websites pics I have seen show a chrome-like tube as a throw-off. Does anyone know about the brass throw-off?

B - LUGS:

The lugs are beavertail but the photos I have posted show that there are rectangular markings around the lugs. I would think that this means that the beavertails are not original, or they are original but were replaced with some other lugs and then more beavertails were put back on.

Any clues?

C - BRACKETS:

All the pics I have seen show big chrome brackets on each side that hold the snares in place. This drum does not have these brackets. What does this mean?

I'd appreciate any input that anyone has about this drum and it's parts or age or authenticity. This drum is not for resale - I will be playing it.

Thanks

Peter

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Here is a page on the web site that you might not find that easily. Some times I start projects and leave them for a later date and some times I never get back to them.. I do however create a link so I can find it later and or maybe it get back to working on it.

Here is the page

On that page is a page titled Snare Pages... On the snare pages I'm going to go year by year and show all of the different manufacturers drums, but this is a huge project that I have not worked on in probably 3 years...

I did however get the Slingerland Snare Page done and that should help you and others looking to see some Slingerland Snares year by year.

Slingerland Snare Drum Page

Let me know if that helps...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

The brass handle is a homemade replacement. Those would often break, and folks would fashion new ones. Now you can find nice, correct looking handles.

Those lugs would also tend to crack, so it's possible that at sometime they were replaced with different ones, and then the correct lugs were put back.

I think the brackets you're referring to are the "bridges" found on the snares with the 3 pt. strainer, not the clamshell.

Posted on 16 years ago

I did get another picture of the drum with a few lugs off and the holes were crudely enlarged for the square lugs that were probably on the drum at one time.

My recommendation was to try and get his money back....

David

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here