Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Help indenitifing slingerland snare

Looking for slingerland cob snare and come across this snare? what is this model? i know it has tdr snare strainer. buddy rich? also it is missing muffler? what king of muffler goes in it? thanks

Posted on 2 years ago

What is the serial number?

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi Matematika!

I can tell you this is a TDR snare drum, model number 193. Depending on the year, which we need the serial number, it could be the Buddy Rich COB TDR. Regardless of the year, it still is the No. 193 and a fine drum. The TDR strainer system uses extended length snare wires that go past the head on each side. Are those the wires on your drum?

As to the muffler/tone control, I've attached pictures of the style you need. You can find these on eBay and Reverb. Just search "slingerland muffler". They always seem to sell for around $50!!

-Mark

4 attachments
45.8 kB
50.4 kB
46.5 kB
48.9 kB
Posted on 2 years ago

Here is bottom of snare and serial number... so if anyone can help identify this monster... it has 3 vent holes, one on badge and 2 beside it...

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi! The serial number of 477416 dates your drum to around 1979-80. As I mentioned previously, it is the TDR COB model 193, which is the 6.5x14 version. No longer considered the Buddy Rich snare drum, but still the same drum regardless! Your drum doesn't appear to have the original extended wires.

I used to own the No. 192, which is the same drum, but in a 5" depth. I was able to get Puresound wires for it, but I don't believe they are available anymore. A standard set of generic 15" wires would work.

-Mark

2 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Just looked through my computer and also found another TDR I owned. It was the wood shell version, No. 190 5.5x14. I installed a set of standard 15" wires and they worked just fine to go past the bearing edge at each end. Here's a link for these wires at Drum Factory Direct... https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_104_374_75&products_id=2441

Good luck with your TDR!

-Mark

3 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

I concur with Mark, he has given you accurate information. Serial 477xxx is expected for 1980, and may even be early '81, so not a Buddy Rich model. Adding to Mark's comments it appears the snare throw off and butt are reversed on your drum. TDR hardware layout should be, left to right, badge, tone control, throw off (See Mark's pictures). The throw off and butt have the same hole spacing so that can be easily remedied. Nice drum.

Posted on 2 years ago

Nice drum for sure. Brass shell for sure as mentioned. The TRD strainer is a plus with snares extending past the edge of the resonant head-giving more sensitive response. With the more common zoomatic throwoff, you get only one side extending.

Erich

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here