Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Help in Dating a Ludwig Snare 1930's????

Can someone help me identify and date my snare......

It is a 6 1/2 x 14 wooden snare. stamped on the inside is 020 pearl

Obviously a Ludwig and Ludwig but can't find the same badge anywhere to help me put a date on it. The hardware looks to be 30's.........

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi, rolland.

One of the great features of this website are all the "self help" sections. Right below the "Vintage Drum Forum logo (at the top of this page), you will see a section labeled, "Vintage Drum Identification". When you click on that, it will open up a menu that shows several optional sub-categories. One of those sub-categories is called "Drum Badges". If you click on that one, it will open up a subsection of all the collective drum badges that David (webmaster) has put together so far. If you click on the Ludwig badge in that subsection, it will display almost all the vintage Ludwig badge styles ever made.

Let me know if you have difficulty with finding that section and if you can't find it, then I will link you to it on my next post.

Happy hunting!

Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I checked there but this particular badge is not there............there are some that are close but not quite the same.....that's why I thinnk it is somewhere in the 30's but not quite sure, because the badge from the 20's is almost identical but it doesn't have the chicago, USA portion just chicago

Posted on 16 years ago

I thought with or with out the usa was from the 1920s as long as it was gold in color. Not sure when they made the switch to the white oval in the 1930s. Where are those Ludwig guys that know this stuff?...Peace, Gary

3 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

The 1935 catalog is the anniversary catalog with the white enamal badge.

The 1927 catalog on page 20 shows the badge with just Chicago.

What strainer does it have?

David

Posted on 16 years ago

This is a picture of the strainer. side view...............

I can take another of it from the bottom if you wish.

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

There's no date stamped in there? A lot of them might read something like 3908 which would of course be august of 1939.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

absolutely no date stamp anywhere...have taken the drum completely apart and it's not hidden anywhere at all.....the stamp for the finish is not faded or deteriorated at all so I don't think that's what happened and the drum has never been altered or repaired either so it can't be that.....

when did they start stamping month and year of production?

Posted on 16 years ago

That throw-off would date it, I think, from the 1940s...earlier versions of that drum had the "timepiece" throw off.

The Imperial lugs came out in '36, originally without inserts for the t rods...they were tapped.

Usually, drums with your throw off have the white badge...the white lacquer may have been removed or worn off. Just a hunch.

These drums were made by Conn in Elkhart in the same factory that made the Leedys of that era. Eventually they changed the white badge to say "Elkhart" and soon after that they merged both companies into Leedy Ludwig.

Nice drum!

Posted on 16 years ago

I was about to post on this also, that after 37 the catalogs show both badges in the photos, so the badge is not the best way to date this and the strainer is.

The "Controlled Response Extension Strainer" was offered by Ludwig in the 40s.

It had a three position stop for locking the snares in the full on, full off, or halfway modes.

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here