Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Help Identifying WFL Snare?

After lurking for ages, I finally have joined up!

I just picked up this WFL Snare, can anybody help with info? It seems all original except the snares. The duco is flaking but I guess that is common, there is a little light rust on the snare throw but it isnt too bad at all, sounds great! I was told it is late 1950s.

Thanks!

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

It is a late 30's to early 40's snare with the first generation "Imperial" lugs. The badge wouldn't be a "Lyre" badge, would it!?!?!

Posted on 15 years ago

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/badges/ludwig/wfl_keystone_48-52_large.jpg[/IMG]

It looks like this one. I will try to get a better picture of it tomorrow. The flash was washing it out

Posted on 15 years ago

Probobly a 1940-ish drum. I had the exact same drum except mine was black-gold-black. Odd how they used a single flanged hoop and higher end lugs. My drum was just like that. Badge probobly reads "WFL DRUM CO" with the 1728 north damen ave address at the bottom.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

Thats what the badge says. I thought it was an older badge but nothing seems really authoritative. I guess it is possible it is not an original badge but I doubt it. it looks a lot like this one from 1940 but lugs are different

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/snare_ludwig/ludwig_40_zephyr_lug_deco_large.jpg[/IMG]

What era are the lugs on my drum from? A magnet wont stick to them. All of the WFL snares I can find on line have different ones.

I am trying to decide whether to keep and restore...or sell. I genuinely think somebody else could do a better job with it so I may not keep. It sounds really nice but it is older than I thought and probably more of a relic than I would want my 14 year old banging on.

I actually like the weathered surface and everything else would clean up pretty well. My instinct says that if I want to sell it, I should not monkey with it at all. It seems m there is a certain amount of discretion involved so the buyer would prefer to make that call. Any opinions on that?

Any ballpark on what this would go for? I cant seem to figure out which model it is.

Thanks for all your help, I am sort of new at this and revisiting a childhood hobby.

Posted on 15 years ago

From tinymasters

After lurking for ages, I finally have joined up!I just picked up this WFL Snare, can anybody help with info? It seems all original except the snares. The duco is flaking but I guess that is common, there is a little light rust on the snare throw but it isnt too bad at all, sounds great! I was told it is late 1950s.Thanks!

Don't take my word for it but don't those lugs look somewhat LEEDYish??

REALLY cool drum though!! TONS of potential for restoration!!

Just in case you don't do that sort of thing, there's a guy on DFO [COLOR="Blue"]punkdrummer[/COLOR] who could do Nice Nice with a paint job to match this original Duco scheme.

Here's a thread with some of his work:

[COLOR="Blue"]http://www.drumforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40011&st=0&sk=t&sd=a[/COLOR]

His name is Donny and he seems like a cool guy with a good talent for Duco paint jobs!!

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

[QUOTE=Vipercussionist;21308]Don't take my word for it but don't those lugs look somewhat LEEDYish??

REALLY cool drum though!! TONS of potential for restoration!!

Just in case you don't do that sort of thing, there's a guy on DFO [COLOR="Blue"]punkdrummer[/COLOR] who could do Nice Nice with a paint job to match this original Duco scheme.

Here's a thread with some of his work:

[COLOR="Blue"]http://www.drumforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40011&st=0&sk=t&sd=a[/COLOR]

His name is Donny and he seems like a cool guy with a good talent for Duco paint jobs!!

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

.Thanks for the tip. I am leaning towards selling it. It is totally playable as is but I think that I am a little out of my league with restoring this one. I have a 14 year old beating on this things and this one probably deserves a little more kindness. It is a cool drum though

Posted on 15 years ago

Here is the badge. I am sort of confused about the date based on the badge. I also know some companies were a little erratic in the use of badges. Was this badge in use in the late 30's?

Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

That badge was used maybe late 30's but was certainly used in the 1940's. It was actually used like that until the mid 50's when wfl switched to a badge that read WFL DRUMS at the top with the address at the bottom. The WFL DRUMS badge appeared around 1956-57 and was replaced with the transistion badge.

The lugs on your drum are definately WFL. They were known as the imperial lug although Ludwig and Ludwig also had an imperial lug. The WFL version is nice becasue it has the spring loaded casing which prevents the rods from stripping. This idea was very new back then. Most WFL drums had zephyr lugs as they were cheaper to produce. I am certain your drum is 100% original. As I said I had one identical to it in another color scheme.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks! That is really helpful!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here