Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Help Identifying My Vintage Slingerland

Hi. I've attached some photos of my 1963 Slingerland. I've owned this kit for over 10 years, but never researched which model it is. A couple of the shells are stamped Aug 1963 inside. I looked at the catalogues, and thought it might be one of the Gene Krupa kits, but not sure.

As you can see, it's blue sparkle, with matching snare, Zoomatic strainer. The floor tom has those legs which are kind of spring loaded, but I think there may be a part missing from each leg. In order to retract them, I have to use a small screwdriver or similar, to push the mechanism to allow the leg to be retracted.

Any help or information on this kit would be greatly received. I LOVE my Slingerland!

Posted on 15 years ago

I also have a kit just like that with a krupa snare. I'm not sure what model it is but it might be help to tell by what kind of banana rail mount it has.

Posted on 15 years ago

Ok, thanks. I'll take some pics of the rail and post them tomorrow. Not that I would sell it, but does anyone know of a rough value for a kit like this today? I also have a keystone badge Ludwig Super Classic in Oyster Blue. I use a Ludwig 400 snare with it, but would love to find an Oyster Blue snare... I will post pics of that too now I have found this great forum.

Posted on 15 years ago

Well looking in the Slingerland Book by Rob Cook p.189 That snare looks like the highly prized "Artist Model" or "Buddy Rich, Artist Model" depending on the year.

Quick guess would be the kit is the Krupa Deluxe Ensemble 1-N.

I'm sure somebody else will give the exact and correct details.. nice kit.

Price-wise for the kit in todays market... wild guess.. $300-$350 for the snare. $700-$800 for the rest of the drums. I didn't look closely at the stands and throne but flat bottom orginal stands seem to bring $75-$80 (sometimes more).

Those are wild guesses... nice drums thanks for sharing!!

Hey just to add.. those push button legs are really easy to fix. The mechanism is very straight forward.. http://www.jp2creations.com sells new buttons.. or you can easily make some buttons. It is simple L bracket and spring.. if you are missing some parts I can put up some pictures of what the assembly looks like.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

That's all great info Jim, thanks a lot! Especially for the website with the floor tom buttons....I'll order some of those. I think only the buttons are missing. The rest of the mechanism seems to work great. A couple of the shells are stamped Aug 1963. Does this mean it would be a standard Artiste snare? I think I remember looking at the catalogues on here, and the Buddy Rich model was later than '63. Am I right? I kind of hope it is a Buddy Rich....I love him. Saw him on his last tour in the 80's here in UK.

Whatever it is, it's a fantastic kit, and I would never part with it. When I get a spare half hour, I will post some pics of my Ludwig Super Classic too... gorgeous in Oyster Blue!

Thanks again for the help and advice I'm receiving on here....wish I had found this website earlier!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here